Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: dc5100 MT
Microsoft Windows XP

Hi,

I just bought a new Seagate Baracuda 3.5 HDD to do a clean installation Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool on a HP dc5100 MT running currently on a
SSD XP Professional 32-bit.

When I boot with flash drive (F9):

XE- E61 Media Test Failure check cable
PXE- MOF Exiting HP PXE ROM

next screen

On System Disk Error
replace and strike any key

Is the harddrive corrupt? Totally new! How to get my new Windows 10 OS on to the new HDD?

Appreciate any advice.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Frankenmeister 

It's very unlikely that you are going to succeed.

First off, there is no Upgrade Path from Xp to Win10.  This is where you can upgrade the OS but retain your data, settings, and applications.  You will have to do a Clean Install and will lose everything in the process.

Second, your PC is way to old to have any Win10 drivers from HP.  While Microsoft does install drivers, they have only the most basic functions and almost certainly, some hardware is not going to work.

Sorry, but the older OS version that upgrades reliably to Win10 is win7.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

So basically what you are saying to do a clean installation of Windows 10 on a new HDD on HP dc5100 MT is not possible? Correct?

HP Recommended

@Frankenmeister 

I did not say it was not POSSIBLE.  I said it will probably NOT be a success -- because of the issues I mentioned.

There is nothing stopping you from trying it -- just don't expect it to work.  And when that happens, we won't be able to help you on that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.