Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion All-in-One 24-r0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My D(Recovery) drive ,including hidden items, shows only 5 folders with a total used space on disk of 391.7 MB.

However the properties of the Recovery drive show 92.5 GB of used space and 1.88 GB of free space.

The C drive is still showing 1.7TB of free space.

Is there a simple explanation for this or have I been victim of hacking in some form ?

My Security software does not find any problem in either the C or D drives.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I do not understand ..
There is nothing wrong with your score, see mine!
there is nothing added on it, they are slightly different, because we do not have the same computer, but it is very close
the recovery partition is used to reinstall the computer, it is normal that it is occupied by at least 10gb!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

hi

can you share screenshots of what you indicated
I am not sure I fully understand
tell you that the recovery drive shows 92gb used
out, the recovery partition, if that's what it is must be much smaller!
unless you are talking about a data partition
for example :

Annotation 2020-02-09 095648.png

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

puzzled55_0-1627567818950.png

Apologies, I gave wrong figures for Recovery(D)- should have been 14.0 GB used and but only 391.7 MB used by the 5 folders actually shown in Recovery(D). The 92.5 GB used was actually the usage in Windows (C:).

HP Recommended

puzzled55_0-1627569294372.png

Apologies, the figure for 'used space' in (D) was actually 14.0 GB.  The 92.5 GB was actually the usage in (C).

The figure of 391.7 MB usage is correct for the sum, including hidden files, shown in the properties of the 5 folders in (D).

HP Recommended

So everything seems normal
You have to worry if the partition turns red, and almost full
it means the partition is used to save files

I see that you are using the backup software, but think of the usb recovery kit, if possible with this model

HP PCs - Error: Low Disk Space. You are running out of disk space on Recovery (Windows 😎 | HP® Cust...

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

I do already have a USB Recovery drive. 

I have had this hp pavilion from new and cannot understand how more than 13 GB of other things have been saved into the Partition used by the  Recovery (D) files as I have never, knowingly, saved files on to any partition within the PC other than to Windows (C).

HP Recommended

I do not understand ..
There is nothing wrong with your score, see mine!
there is nothing added on it, they are slightly different, because we do not have the same computer, but it is very close
the recovery partition is used to reinstall the computer, it is normal that it is occupied by at least 10gb!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Try the following:

1. Hold down the Windows key, on the bottom-left of your keyboard
  2. Tap the "R" key
  3. Release both keys
  4. Into the window that has opened, type CMD and press ENTER.
  5. Into the window that has opened, type 😧 and press ENTER.
  6. Type DIR /S /A and press ENTER.
  7. Don't worry if very-many filenames "scroll by". We are only interested in the last few lines, such as:

Total Files Listed:
91 File(s) 29,211,871 bytes
66 Dir(s) 7,810,723,840 bytes free

It is the "/A" option that shows "hidden" files & folders. Normally, you only see the "non-hidden" files & folders, and that's the difference that you have noticed.

HP Recommended

@puzzled55 

You need to QUIT messing with the Recovery Drive!  If you modify it in any way, even accidentally, it will no longer work.

Leave it alone -- there is nothing you need to see in it and nothing you need to do with it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks. I now understand as when I thought I was seeing all hidden items, the largest was still hidden,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.