Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

>  I can't believe that two graphics card and a hdd have died in the space of a week. 

Bad karma ?

> The only common denominator is that 1709 update.

What about the motherboard and the power-supply ?

Could it be possible that a failing power-supply is "over-powering" the motherboard, burning-out the HDD and the add-in video-card and the integrated video?

Does the add-in video-card still work in some other computer?

HP Recommended

Morning all...yawn....brain is as fried as this pc.   @mdklarren....Karma?  lol..what would I have possibly done to the pc gods to deserve this much fun?  I'm gonna ring a tech friend this morning and find out if he can test the psu and graphics card to see if it works in one of his rigs.  He might also be able to loan me another power supply so I can try that as well.  As for the mobo...if it beeps when I remove the ram and start up....shouldn't that indicate that it's still in the land of the lving?  Remember, I'm a novice numpty learning as I go so I have to just make assumptions and be proven wrong...lol.  I live in hope.

On the tomshardware forum I just posed this questions and since it was your good self mdklarren who suggested this I'm wondering if this would work.  It would certainy give me a way to test the hdd to see if it's fried or not: 

Basically, others have said on various forums and blogs that this update will remove drivers it finds incompatible and  this 'no signal to monitor' issue is exactly where this whole dilemma started with the nvidia.  

Fueling that assumption is the fact that the second last error message I got when the Win 10 update failed to roll back was:

"Code 0xC1900101 - 0x3000D
Cause Installation failed during the FIRST_BOOT phase while attempting the MIGRATE_DATA operation. This can occur due to a problem with a display driver."

Before it died altogether, the last message was 'no boot disk or disk has failed'

So, perhaps I can safely assume that the hdd has carked it, or the OS is so corrupted now that it couldn't access the OS to start back up again.  I might also safely assume that the  display driver for the integrated gpu (just like the nvidia) has been deleted somehow and it's just not finding the integrated graphics card.  I'm assuming that without a graphics card whether the bios is opening or not, I wouldn't know as I can'tsee anything.  The OS is not being accessed because it's presumbly corrupted.

You initially suggested that I put the Hard drive into my other hp, somehow fix the corrupt files with a fresh copy of win 10 OS, and then put it back into the other one. Of course that's when the integrated graphics card was working. Not sure I want to screw up my working pc so didn't want to physically connect it to that one internally. Then I recalled a mate of mine had a hdd dock and used to reuse his old hd's and those he'd salvaged files from for friends. So it got me thinking...if I buy a hdd adapter (cheaper than a dock), I could power this hdd from the old computer psu or use the second plug on my older hp, and plug into the other computer via usb. That way I could at least access it and test if it's working. If I get nothing then the answer is simple. Its dead.  either way, it's one step closer to diagnosing the problem

As for fixing the corrupt copy of windows 10, how would I go about that?  I watched a whole lot of youtube vids last night about cloning from one hdd to the other including OS, so it seems it might be possible to clone the OS only.  Would that include the mbr?.  Remember I'm just a determined novice so don't really know one way or another.  Just trying whatever I can to fix it myself before throwing hands in the air.

If it's the mobo that detects the graphics cards, as above, if it's doing that, I can't tell as I have no signal to monitor so flying blind. I'm assuming at this stage that if it is detecting the gpu, with a corrupt OS, there's no way to download the drivers, so figured if I fix the OS as you initialy suggested then maybe the rest will follow.  Don't rain on my parade just yet...let me live in hope...lol.   At least I'm learning a heap about pc's though so that's an upside.  I managed to repair my laptop when the power jack became faulty.  Had nothing to lose so took it apart, resoldered a new one on, renewed the thermal paste, put it back together and 'bob's your uncle'...working perfectly and I'm using it right now.  If I hadn't at least tried, I'd have gained nothing and lost a perfectly good laptop.  Most techies told me they woudn't bother, just chuck it out or replace mobo.  glad I didn't listen to them.  It's an i7 and I can't afford to replace it.

HP Recommended
 OK, it won...I rang a local techie and filled him in on all this and he reckons he's seen system after system with issues related to win 10 updates including no signal to monitor.  He's happy to just test the hdd, psu graphics card etc, free of charge, and either rule it in or out as far as this issue goes.  At least it will put me out of my misery.  I'm rural so can't just jump in the car and go buy a new part or adapter for the hdd and there's only two techies in my local region.  Luckily this bloke is available this afternoon and  happy to do the diagnosis for nothing and if it turns out to be hardware related he may have parts to fix it. If it's OS related, he may be able to sort that out too.   I'll post the outcome here, but he's also curious as to the last error message re graphics driver, and whether it is indeed os system related or a hardware failure.  He was also intrigued by the fact that win 10 1709 is working fine on my 7.5 year old HP p6555a but not this one which is only just verging on 3-4 years old since it was purchased.  There's no rhyme or reason for that.  It should be working better on the newer system but it isn't.   Recently I took out everything on the older pc and cleaned it as it was caked in dust including the gpu, psu and cpu & heat sink etc.  I replaced the thermal compound on the cpu and even took the gpu apart and replaced the thermal compound under the fan and it's fine and dandy.  I'll let you all know what ended up being the actual problem with this model and put this subject to bed.  In the interim, thank you kindly for taking the time to accompany me on this magical mystery tour.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.