Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0040qd CTO
Microsoft Windows 11

Greetings,

Briefly, my 844C motherboard currently has the AMI F.46 BIOS.

I am having Crucial memory trouble, and Crucial says I should update my BIOS to F.48.

HP says my computer, with Windows 11, does not need an update and such an update cannot be done.

Does anybody know which is correct? Is F.48 an actual upgrade for this machine?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, that is definitely crazy.

I've never come across that issue before.

I wonder if you install the W11 Realtek ethernet driver if that will make any difference.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp138001-138500/sp138247.exe 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

What kind of memory problems are you experiencing?

There is a BIOS version F.48 but since your PC has no W11 driver support from HP, the update shows up under the W10 driver section.

Driver - HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0040qd CTO | HP® Customer Support

I'm not sure that it is safe to update the BIOS if you are not running W11.

That would be up to you to decide, or you can reinstall W10.

HP Recommended

Greetings!

Yes, you confirmed what I suspected. The suggest about using F.48 was incorrect. I am quite pleased with W11, so I will not be going back.

As to the memory problem, you probably won't believe it. Here goes-

I wanted (and still do) to add more memory to the computer. I have the original pair of 8gb modules and 4 new 32gb modules, all perfectly legit. I have tested this every which way for days, and the scoop is nutty.

When I add the 4 new modules the networking card goes down after about 1 to 3 minutes. Then it gets nutty.

When try any single module in slot 1 everything works perfectly.

When I try any 2 modules (matched or not) in any slots everything is super-duper.

But, as soon as I use 4 modules under any circumstances the networking adapter goes down and connections to the router are out.

For the heck of it, I tried 3 modules and the adapter went out.

Resetting the networking adapter will bring it back for a couple of minutes at best.

WiFi is not affected. All the modules are fine after long and boring tests.

That's my story. It sounds goofy to me, and I have seen a lot of computer weirdness. Everyone I discuss this with is baffled, too.

Crazy, eh?

HP Recommended

Yes, that is definitely crazy.

I've never come across that issue before.

I wonder if you install the W11 Realtek ethernet driver if that will make any difference.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp138001-138500/sp138247.exe 

HP Recommended

Ho, ho, and again I say "Ho"!  Brilliant!  

You came up with the exact solution.  That driver totally solved the problem.  I now have all four RAM modules in, the network is stable and fast. The computer is playing Hawaiian music direct  from Hana because, well, you know ... everyone needs Hawaiin music on Saturday after a major computer problem has been solved.

Many thanks!  Your help is very much appreciated. 

Fabulous!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It was the only idea I could think of, and I'm glad it worked for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.