Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elite 8300 USDT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I see in the specs from 2013 that the above machine takes a max of 2x8gb RAM. Since there are now larger sizes of RAM in the SODIMM format, is it possible to add larger RAM sticks, e.g. 2x16 or 2x32gb?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The max is 16 GB, because the slot limit is 8 GB.

In order for 32 GB of memory to work, there would have to be 4 memory slots, which there aren't.

HP Recommended

Thanks, but that doesn't really answer the question.

I know that 2x8 works, but wondered if anyone has tried larger sizes.  For example, many PCs that were released with an 8 GB (2x4) limit can actually use 2x8 because later RAM of the same spec is now available but wasn't available when the machine was released.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I've done the same thing...installed 8 GB memory when the specs indicated 4 was the max.  Specifically on a HP 6910p notebook.

The chipset your PC has supports a max of 32 GB of memory, so 2 x 32 GB is definitely out.

I don't know of anyone who tried it, and I am 99.9% sure that 2 x 16 GB won't work.

You can be the first to let us know if it worked or not.

Buy a 16 GB chip and combine it with one of the other memory chips your PC has, and if it works, add another 16 GB chip and prove me wrong.

I won't mind, and I can tell anyone else that asks that yes, 2 x 16 GB of memory will work.

HP Recommended

Alrighty then.

I'll leave this up here as is in case anyone has tried it for better or worse.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.