Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion t448d

Hi there, I have a Pavilion t448d and was planning to install an OS via USB, but I can't seem to find the boot menu. It says COMPAQ and at the bottom says <F1=SETUP> <F10=RECOVERY> I have tried to click on f10 but only says insert boot device and tap enter to try again. The drive is formatted so I thought that maybe it might just get into the USB drive that is bootable. I have tried to install the OS via virtual box on my machine but 32x was not my cpu and installing 32 bit because it is very old. Boot priority has been usb and there is also the slave and master thing. I don't think USB is a ATAPI and also the boot mentioned that the usb was recognised. Hopefully I have given all info possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ineedhelp404 

Master and slave -- I have had not heard those terms in a LONG time -- since back in the IDE drive days some years ago!

Most likely, your PC does not have a USB boot option, as those only appeared with newer PCs.  The older, really OLD PCs, had optical drives built in, as well as floppy disk drives and it was THESE that the PC was designed to boot from.

That said, there are others here more familiar with the details of really old equipment than me -- and they might be able to provide you a workaround that will allow you to boot from USB.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ineedhelp404 

Master and slave -- I have had not heard those terms in a LONG time -- since back in the IDE drive days some years ago!

Most likely, your PC does not have a USB boot option, as those only appeared with newer PCs.  The older, really OLD PCs, had optical drives built in, as well as floppy disk drives and it was THESE that the PC was designed to boot from.

That said, there are others here more familiar with the details of really old equipment than me -- and they might be able to provide you a workaround that will allow you to boot from USB.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello
indeed this old model cannot boot in USB
Whether you want to install as a version of windows, because if it is windows 10, it may be better to go your way

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I see, really wanted to use it as a server.

HP Recommended

Ok then, have a good day ahead!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.