Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Z600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Lately, I have been prompted by windows OS to upgrade the OS to win 10 2004.  My current setup in on HP Z600 with window 10 1903.  I would like to find out if anyone has done the upgrade successfully and whether there is any issues encountered.  I need some assurance because there is no compatibility info on this machine on HP website.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@CMTan 

Read my thread about upgrading to v20.04, especially the part about doing image backups.  If you do such backups, you can attempt the upgrade without risk because you then have something to restore FROM:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Updating-your-laptop-to-Windows-10-v2004-May-...

Yeah, I know it says laptops, but upgrading a desktop is done the same way.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@CMTan 

Read my thread about upgrading to v20.04, especially the part about doing image backups.  If you do such backups, you can attempt the upgrade without risk because you then have something to restore FROM:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Updating-your-laptop-to-Windows-10-v2004-May-...

Yeah, I know it says laptops, but upgrading a desktop is done the same way.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you Wawood.   Following your advise, i did the following

1.  Recovery Drive

2.  Backup an image of my drive

These 2 steps take more than an hour to complete.

After that it done, I proceed to upgrade to win 10 2004.  The upgrade was done much faster than the 2 steps mentions above.  The only issue I encountered was with the nvidia display driver which was prevented by Windows to be installed.  I later found out that it is a known issue in win 10 2004 which requires a nvidia driver 358.xx and above to work.  I have 2 display card GT710 and a NVS295.  Fortunately, I could locate the driver for GT710 but the driver for NVS 295  is only at 342.xx which continues to be blocked.  This is issue is mitigated only if a new driver with 358.xx or greater can be found with the display card supplier.  Window is expected to have a resolution for this issue  (not sure when?? ).  So if you are using old driver, you will have to update the driver or otherwise, you will need to purchase a new display card.

I am still monitoring for stability.  As of now, I am not allowing window to perform any update until I deem it is stable enough.  But so far there is no issue for 2 days.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.