Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8100 SFF PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear all,

While trying to update to Win10 1709 I get error that Infineon TPM need to be uninstalled - manually

How do I uninstall this?

Do I need TPM at all or which HP SP would solve the problem?

Any help most welcome

Viktor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found the Infineon folder under 'C:\SWSETUP\App\Security.' Once I deleted the folder and hit refresh on the Update Assistant window I was able to proceed.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

We have the same problem with many PC´s!

HP Recommended

Dear all,

I could fix the problem with one or a combination of the following sequence:

MIND:  CAUTION this is only valid if no encryption of a drive or files such as bitlocker or any other third party

logic is in force/used - if it is in use then you will lock you out completely

as TPM.MSC (type it in "Run" was showing compatible TPM cannot be found I changed BIOS

system securtiy by enabling "embedded security" or something similar (had to set BIOS password first!!)

After reboot TPM.MSC showed TPM manufacturer Info besides other.

Mine shows  IFX  3.16  and 1.2

Found a microsoft page which shows a script to be used in Powershell which checks whether the TPM

is safe or not - it shos "SAFE"

Which meant that the firmware is supposed to be fine for Windows 10 1709

Then I used "Clear TPM" in TPM.MSC which in turn requires a reboot

then at boot time it requires a confirmation to clear the TPM by hitting F3

Which I did as I was absolutely sure that I was not using any encryption.

However this did not do the trick yet.

With the help of Microsoft support I got a Windows ISO file for Windows 10 1709 - they were

extremely helpfull in trying to solve my problem - many thanks to them as they spent hours with me

to solve the problem.

the next day (before Microsoft called me again) I changed BIOS system security again (without using TPM.MSC)

and cleared and RESET system security to default.

And heureka the update (via ISO) did no longer complain about Infineon to be uninstalled manually.

(assume the normal Windows update would have worked as well)

the 1709 update run smoothly although taking quite some time.

After all was fine I started windows update and got a new update KB403961 build 16299.19

by that time I was on 16299.15

after that update (maybe also before after successfull 1709) I had high CPU usage on Interne Connection

Sharing ICS)

This however need not to have a connection with the TPM Infineon issue

anyhow after entering "sc config SharedAccess start= demand" in command prompt admin

this probelm was gone after a further reboot

Wishing you all good luck - and mind the encryption!

Viktor

nb I have a notion that at times of Windows 7 I had the HP protect tool on the system (although not actually

using it but I played around at that time a bit) which uses Infineon TPM

maybe at time of uninstalling before Windows 10 it left something in the TPM firmware

which caused the micrsoft update to request de-installtion of Infineon TPM

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with Infineon TP Professional when I updated Windows 10 with fall update 1709 on a HP Elite 8200. It did not have the application installed, so I could not understand why the the update kept failing.

After searching the internet, I found informattion that if the instalaltion files for Infineon,  located in C:\swsetup, is deleted, the update will continue.

I deleted the folder and voila! Update 1709 could continue.

HP Recommended

Hmm - assume you deleted ProtectTools directory under swsetup?

I find a number of entries in registry pointing to protectools.

HP should supply an utility to clean up also registry besides the directory.

Does your event viewer show errors regarding missing files/data because of registry leftovers?

HP Recommended

HP ProBook 450 G2 [Personal Information Removed] SKU F5R46AV
BIOS M74 VERSION 01.15, 23.07.2015
SMBIOS VERSION 2.7
EMBEDDED CONTROLLER VERSION 103.36
BIOS MODE LEGACY

PROBLEM WITH MS WIN 10 UPDATE 1708, GET "INFINEON TPM MUST BE MANUALLY UNINSTALLED"

No sign of Infineon or TPM in any directory, or search tool.

Microsoft Support struggled valiantly for an hour and a half, and eventually first line # 3 found the TPM was embedded in the HP BIOS (via Google).

No marks for continuity however, because second line support called 1 day later and was not aware of this (BIOS).

I declined to let MS Support modify HP BIOS, or rather they wanted me to do it.

As I understand "Tutor"  this - whatever it is - can either be removed or modified, but I am sorry, not clear on the procedure. Could you please expand the steps ? Thank you

I do think HP and MS  could have got their act together on this.

The HP note of October on this is not exactly lucid, but appears to be irrelevant to the upgrade problem (?)

HP Recommended

Hi Arthur,

Did you check C:\SWSETUP and look for ProtectTools

simply change directory name of ProtectTools to eg ProtectTools-org

This worked perfectly with a colleague of mine - no need to change BIOS then

suggest to reboot after directory name change then try windows update again

Regards

Viktor

HP Recommended

Hi, Victor S

Thanks for response. only problem no directory Protect tools, som ref to HP Protect tools in various Sp

Cheers

Arthur

HP Recommended

I found the Infineon folder under 'C:\SWSETUP\App\Security.' Once I deleted the folder and hit refresh on the Update Assistant window I was able to proceed.

HP Recommended

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ultimately MS support, tier 2 spent a couple of hours deleting approximately 10 files from who knows where (on my PC)

Then did a complete re-installation, including this 1709 upgrade.

The surprise to me is still no one in support knew about this problem, when cases must be legion.

Anyway, all's well that ends !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.