Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 750-624
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a newly purchased HP Envy 750-624 that I'm trying to get Win10 Pro installed on. It came with Win10 Home, and I have a Win10 Pro license for it. I have the installation media (USB) from Microsoft, and am able to boot into the setup, but that's where I run into issues.

After going through the initial screens (Language & License Agreement), the setup asks where you'd like to install the OS - but no drives are listed. Options are to rescan or install drivers for a drive. Browsing for drivers shows the hardrive (C:), but it isn't available in the list of drives to install. 

The drive is found by BIOS, and device manager says drivers are all up-to-date. I tried copying the drivers onto a USB for setup to use and find, but it didn't recognize them as valid signed drivers. I've also tried updating the latest drivers directly from HP, to no effect.

I've read that it might be a BIOS setting (something to do with setting AHCI as the default), but I wasn't able to find where in the BIOS I would change it.

As this is a brand-new computer that's all up-to-date and runs fine with Windows 10 Home, I'm stumped as to why trying to do a clean install can't find the harddrive.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi

You don't have to install Windows 10 Pro.

Go to Settings, Update and Recovery, Activation.

Look for Change product key.

Enter the new product key for Windows 10 Pro.

Follow prompts.

To do a clean installation you must boot to the Windows 10 Pro installation device (USB) under UEFI boot devices.

Your PC uses GPT. If you boot the USB stick as a legacy device Windows 10 setup will not see the GPT storage device (HHD-SSD-NVME drive). Legacy device installation process looks for MBR storage/boot devices.

Your PC shipped with a 1TB HDD and Intel Optane memory. It should be using AHCI mode in the BIOS.

Tom

HP Recommended

@sshinn

In the BIOS go to STORAGE then Storage Options.

REO

HP Recommended

Hi Tom,

My HP ENVY 750-624 PC came with 1TB HDD and NVME SSD, I have clean format the Windows Home build in OS, Now I need to install Win 10 pro version, but installation USB not boot up, Kindly assist me to install windows 10 pro.

HP Recommended

Hi NilanthaP,

It looks like you have a small (16 GB SSD) Intel Optane accelerator drive.

It would have been easier to upgrade to W10 Pro but a clean installation of Windows is fine.

Start your PC and tap "ESC" to get to the Startup Menu.

Select "F10".

Select the USB flash drive located within the UEFI  boot source menu.

This should start the Windows 10 setup routine.

Select W10 Pro, 64 bit version.

Windows 10 setup should run.

You will need a valid W10 Pro product key. You can skip entering the product key during this phase of the installation.

I usually enter the key post installation.

Now you will need to setup Optane.

This Intel, YouTube video, (Link) should help with this process.

The first two minutes or so of this video can be skipped. You want to look at the remaining video showing how to install the Intel application.

This (link) will provide the Intel application for your PC.

You may want to use HP's IRST version available at this (Link).

Note, your PC's BIOS would already be set in RAID mode because you had Intel Optane running on W10 Home.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Grzwacz,

Thank you for the very useful information provided. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.