Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
22-b235qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've contacted HP regarding this problem, but I couldn't get help. When I tried contacting them again, the Chat and phone lines were closed.

I tried resetting my computer three times so that I could erase the hard drive, reinstall Windows 10, and
return this computer to HP. I tried through the Settingsand twice from the Recovery Manager. I got the
following message the third time: "Your PC has been reset but we couldn't remove all your personal files. If
you plan to give away or recycle the PC, try resetting again." What can I do to completely erase the hard disk
and reinstall Windows 10 with the Reset ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Margo1

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and understand that you want to know how to perform a clean install on your computer.

I’d love to help!

I recommend you to follow the steps in the below article to perform a clean install.

http://hp.care/2slmC4I

NOTE: Follow the steps under “Recovery using HP Recovery Manager”

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Margo1

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and understand that you want to know how to perform a clean install on your computer.

I’d love to help!

I recommend you to follow the steps in the below article to perform a clean install.

http://hp.care/2slmC4I

NOTE: Follow the steps under “Recovery using HP Recovery Manager”

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. Security is very important to me. I just have one more question.

When HP receives a returned computer, does it ensure that the hard disk was wiped clean of personal files or does it assume that the sender erased the files already?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi @Margo1, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply, I understand that you are looking to know how HP handles your data on the computer when it is returned, is that right?

If the computer is returned for any particular issue, the service center would use diagnose the issue and fix the issue and format the HDD. 

If you would like to know about HP privacy policy, please refer to this webpage

Hope this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding.

I remember chatting with HP and I told them that the computer was slow and that the Reset did not work. So I guess I can assume that HP would diagnose my returned computer and when they do this, they would format the HDD. So formatting would erase anything that is on the computer,correct? (I sent the computer back for a refund, so someone else will eventually be purchasing the computer.) 

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi @Margo1,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Answering to your question, Yes, Once we have your computer in the service center all the hardware components will be tested and which ever part is bad they would go ahead and replace it, as well as they would format the hard drive and this will erase the data.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Cheers!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for this information. I did attempt to erase the hard disk, but the Reset did not work properly and I was concerned that if there is some data still left on the hard drive, that the next owner would be able to have access to it. I feel better now. :generic:

HP Recommended

Hi @Margo1,

Please be assured that the data is as safe as it is with you. 

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.