Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion Gaming Desktop (64) i5 9400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new Pavilion Gaming Desktop (30 Days) with an SSD (C:/) 265 GB and a 1 TB HDD (D:/) I began to install my new programs (Adobe Photoshop elements, Pinnacle Studio 23, and others, and realized I was loading up the SSD.  So, after some research on the Internet, I discovered quite a number of rec's on how to relocate User Files (documents, pictures, videos etc.) from the C:/ to the D:/ while leaving key programs etc. that would benefit from the fast SSD speed.  All went pretty well, until I realized that the Videos File was no where to be found, even though I thought I had properly performed the Relocation from the USER Folder to the D:/ drive.  I've spent the last week trying to figure out what I did in the relocation process.  I've read the Community Forum and others, and have run into similar issues, but not my exact scenario.  Here's what I've done so far, and what I think may have happened.  

After my 1st Relocation effort to move files from C:/ to D:/, I discovered I had 2 iterations of my D:/ drive under This PC in Win10.  My main D:/ Drive  is listed as  Data (D:/) next under the Win (C:/) listing.  However, I also have another D:/ drive with the Videos icon at the left, which is located just under the 3D objects folder and it is a mirror image/clone of my main D:/ drive!!  When I checked properties of this mirror image D:/ drive it shows that it is a Local Disk (Data) just like the main.  However when I check This PC, this additional D:/ Drive is listed as a File, and when I point the cursor at it, it indicates that the file contains movies and videos!!

Now for the Real Fun.  This additional/secondary D:/ has an interesting Path associated with it.  When I made an effort to change all of this mess, I went into its properties and clicked on Restore Default and the following showed up           C:\Users\rbsb1\Videos.  This was the original location of the Videos file that I attempted to Relocate to the Data (D:/)!! 

Now I also checked my main Data (D:/) and its properties, and it also has the same original Default Path   C:\Users\rbsb1\Videos!!!  The only thing I can think of that I might have done was in the Relocation of Videos to the Data (D:/), didn't create a Videos Folder in the Data (D:/) drive and it created a duplicate????  I'm at a total loss and have been trying for a week to come up with a solution.  You can all tell that it's been awhile since I've screwed around with the PC.  
Don't laugh too much about my assumptions.  I've subsequently done a Reset of the PC (A Pain as always) but the Drive Issue and Folder locations did not change.  Still have the duplication.  If anyone has insight into this mess, I 'll appreciate hearing back!!  I've not gone into the Registry to make changes, because of a disaster 10 years ago!!  Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@RBSTL 

The folder structure on my PC uses "Users" not "USER" -- so if you actually used the latter name, that might have caused problems. And it could have been that Windows, then seeing that the "Users" folder was gone and not finding a copy with the same name on another drive, automatically spawned an new version of it.

These multimedia folders are treated specially by Microsoft and I've had so many problems with trying to move them myself that I put my media stuff in other folders entirely.

You said you did a Reset, but did you change the name of the migrated folders on "D" before you did that?  IF you did not, then when Windows came back up, you would probably have the same issue, again.

I would create new multimedia folders on "D", then remove the ones you migrated, reboot the PC and see what difference that makes.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

WA

Sorry for the late reply.  Appreciate your insight.  I incorrectly indicated USER in my first message, but actually do have it correct as Users!  I did not change the name of the migrated folders before Resetting the PC.  I'll consider doing that.  I did a little research on the Net last night and discovered 6 How To Sites with information on a 'Rare Occurrence" in Win 10 creating duplicate  drives and how to change this in the Registry by deleting 2 Keys in a very methodical process.  Somewhat leery in proceeding with that but set a System Restore Point and proceeded.  Performed the process, rebooted and the duplicate is still in the This PC Hierarchy.  It appears as a Drive D:/, but when I click on This PC it is listed as a Folder with movies and videos!!  If I'm to believe the Duplicate Drive Removal Process that I performed, then Win 10 does not recognize it as a Drive, but as a Folder, possibly as I mentioned in my first message created when I started this mess by attempting to relocate the Videos Folder to the Data D:/ Drive!!??????  At this point I don't have a clue as to how to remove this aberration and get on with life!!!  Thanks WA for your help.  RickB

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.