Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP All-in-One 24-f0015.NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

My windows installation has become very corrupted after something went awry in the recent 2004 update. I can access windows and login. The start button is unresponsive, and even trying to open the Desktop Settings throws an error that no application can be found to execute the action.

I can browse the C: but cannot run any applications from there either. Search also does not respond.

Going through Recovery Mode and none of the repair or reset functions are able to run. I can run command line from Explorer, but cannot run chkdsk or sfc.

I'm thinking I need to do a complete clean re-install (unless anyone here has any other suggestions), but even that is failing (booting from WIn 10 disk) as that cannot find any harddrive to install too.

Any thoughts? With everything as it is at the moment this is the pc my kids use for homeschooling, so I really need to get this working properly.

Thanks,

Rory

Rory.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC's model series seems to be supported by the HP cloud recovery tool.

Using another Windows PC and a 32 GB USB flash drive, you can use the cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with the PC.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

If Windows can't find a hard drive to install on, run the hard drive diagnostics test to make sure the drive is good.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC's model series seems to be supported by the HP cloud recovery tool.

Using another Windows PC and a 32 GB USB flash drive, you can use the cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with the PC.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

If Windows can't find a hard drive to install on, run the hard drive diagnostics test to make sure the drive is good.

HP Recommended

That worked a treat - thanks Paul!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Rory.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the recommendation!
Had the same issue

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.