Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
27-a240se All In One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10 was on this AIO when I purchased it in 2017.  Last year I foolishly wanted to upgrade to 10 PRO so I ordered it from Microsoft.  Immediately after installation I decided against using it so I returned it and MS refunded my purchase money.  Ever since then a message appears on my lower right screen "Activate Windows."  I can't activate Win 10 that came with my machine because I don't have the key.  MS said I must get it from HP.  L don't have admin rights at this time due to the overlapping windows snafu.  Anyway to get the original windows home key?

Thanks . . .

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi
ShowKeyPlus from the Microsoft Store (probably the best choice).
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/showkeyplus/9pkvzcprx9nv?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

The output is like this....
ShowKeyPlus - Windows Product Key Information

Product Name: Windows 10 Home
Version: 12345.678 (64-bit OS)
Product ID: 00000-00000-00000-AAOEM
Installed Key: 12345-67890-09876-54321
OEM Key: MICRO-SOFTY-WINDO-WSTEN-64BIT
OEM Edition: Win 10 RTM Core OEM:DM

ALSO
KeyFinderInstaller may help.…
It gives this…. – CD Key: 12345-67890-09876-54321

ELSE
There is a possibility of finding the same value in the Registry....
USING RegEdit the key is listed below and it’s content also shown.
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

BackupProductKeyDefault 12345-67890-09876-54321

Three different names for the same value in 3 different software methods.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your quick reply.  The pop up indicates W10 PRO as the operating system.  NG.  I guess my original WIN 10 Home is gone and I'll have to repurchase 10PRO.  Ugh . . .

HP Recommended

Hi

In theory NO because the original Main Board details and the original KEY are supposed to be on Microsoft's Servers, so maybe MS can/will authenticate it for you.

Late edit.

F11 or Cloud to revert to Factory Fresh?

In theory will re-register Home.

From 2016 onwards there is a possible recovery option via the cloud...
HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 7 & 10)
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205
OR
This First part only works when a valid Recovery Partition is enabled.
If it displays an error message then move onto the Second part,
OR if you have data you wish to try and save using the XCOPY command.
Then create your own Repair/Recovery/Rebuild/Re-install media or buy a set from HP.

Turn off the computer.
Disconnect all connected devices and cables, Media Drives, USB drives, printers, & faxes.
Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware.
Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord.
WARNING - ONE WAY ONLY, WIPES ALL DATA - NON-RECOVERABLE
Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key, about once every second,
until the Choose an option screen is displayed, and then continue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.