Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ProDesk 600 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF which is running Windows 10 version 1703. I have been unable to update it beyond build 15063.1596. The result code-extend code is 0xC1900101-0x30017 which indicates  a driver has caused the problem. From what I've read, usually the display adapter (graphics) or network adapter (Ethernet).

I've tried updating all drivers through Windows Update, through HP, and through the manufacturer of each device. I've tried backing out driver revisions to basic microsoft drivers. All antivirus and anti-malware have been uninstalled and Windows Defender and Windows firewall have been turned off. I've uninstalled any type of third party antivirus, anti-malware, VPN, VM. I've used msconfig32 to turned off all startup and to stop all non-windows services. Bios is verified as up to date. I've tried every reasonable suggestion I've found on the internet.

On the HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads page for the HP Prodesk G1 SFF (https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-prodesk-600-g1-small-form-factor-pc/5387447/mode...) I see there are five graphics drivers listed and five networks drivers listed. How do I determine which to use? I dont know if the name shown in Device Manager actually refers to the physical hardware or to the driver. For example, my display adapter shows in Device Manager as Intel HD Graphics 4600 but I can change driver to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. My network adapter shows as Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM version 12.13.17.7 date 1/14/2016, the closest network driver shown on the HP driver page for my system is Intel I217/I210 NIC Drivers for DTO Microsoft Win 10 -64bit but the version shown is 20.1_375575 Rev.A date shown is Aug 18, 2015 - which makes no sense.

HP Support Assistant says all my drivers are up to date.

I've tried everything except swapping drivers for the disk drive which seems possibly dangerous, or a clean install of Windows 10 (besides the hassle of re-installing all apps, there's likely to continue to be problems with windows updates.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Kurt

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I think I've got a handle on everything you've tried so far, here are some things I didn't see mentioned and some things to try:

Confirm the Date and Time are correct on your PC.

Confirm you have 32 GB of free space on the drive you are installing to.

Remove any external drives(USB, SD card, etc.

Disable any drive encryption(Bitlocker)

Remove Ethernet cable or disable WIFI, then restart and try the install.

Open Windows Settings/Update &Security and click Troubleshooting(on the left) and click Windows Update and let it finish, then try your Windows install again.

If you get the same error again:
Disable Secure Boot in bios( if you cannot locate Secure boot in BIOS, disable CSM Support, save and exit bios then go back into bios and find Secure Boot and disable it, then reboot and try your Windows install.

If you get the error message again:
Re-create the Windows Update folder
C:\Windows\Software Distribution (possibly corrupt):
Hit Windows+R
run services.msc and click OK.
(accept warning)
in the Services Control Panel window that opens, right-click on Windows Update and click Stop.

Open Windows Explorer and in the C:\Windows folder find the Software Distribution folder and right-click on it and Delete(if it won't delete, right click on it and Rename it to SoftwareDistributionCorruptFile.

Then run services.msc again and right-click on Windows Update and click Start, then exit and go run Windows Update, install the updates, reboot and try your Windows install again.

There are other things to try but hopefully one of these will do the trick.

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you. Very good suggestions. But yes, tried all of these. Tried so many things over weekend that I forgot to list these until you asked.

Also found a registry tweak suggestion: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgradeAllowOSUpgrade = 1, but my registry already has this. key and value.

Also tried an idea found on a couple of websites to force a hard reboot (power off)  at the points where the update was doing soft reboots: at the start, at 30%, and at 75% (I've only reached 30%). No good. Failed the same way.

Also tried running different update from 1703: by doing each cumulative update in 1703 (got a few installed before I hit an update where no later updates would install), and to most recent version of 1909. All failed same way.

Thank you again for the suggestion, and willing to try any other suggestions.

I'm going to try  update to 1809 since that is the last version HP tested this machine on. But since I cant update 1703 past 1596. I doubt that will work.

I have not changed the disk drive driver since I'm concerned I might lose access to disk drive, but I think that's a long shot.

Kurt

HP Recommended

Hello

according to what I read here , windows update are not available forever:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4018124

Current status of Windows 10, version 1703

Windows 10, version 1703 has reached end of service for all editions. To continue receiving security and quality updates, Microsoft recommends updating to the latest version of Windows 10.

Surface Hub devices remain in support. Starting on November 12, 2019, updates for Windows 10, version 1703 will be available only for Surface Hub devices.

So it seems you lost the opportunity to run windows update around  7 months ago . I guess now you have to start a fresh installation of 1909 or 2004 Version .

bye

HP Recommended

End of service (EOS) and end of life (EOL) for a version of Windows 10 does not affect whether a user can download and install previously released updates, or whether a user can update to later versions of Windows 10. These dates are when Microsoft will stop releasing new updates for the version.  With introduction of Windows 10, Microsoft changed their product lifecycles. End of service for a given version occurs 18 months after introduction; for version 1703, that was October 9 2018. End of life occurs 18 months after that; for version 1703, that's April 9 2020. In some cases, Microsoft might change those dates or release additional updates later; this is being done for versions currently reaching EOS or EOL.

After EOS, a version will not receive feature updates. After EOL, a version will not receive security updates. At EOS, users should upgrade to next version to receive feature improvements and additions. AT EOL, users should upgrade to next version to keep their systems safe. Third party security software (antivirus and anti-malware) are not sufficient for this, and they strongly recommend upgrading OS after EOL

HP Recommended

Still looking for suggestions. Since the result code and extend code seem to indicate a driver problem, any guidance on how to check logs indicate which driver might be at fault? I've upgraded and downgraded every driver I could, disabled every driver I can think of, removed devices in device manager. Checked every log I found mentioned in websites (some logs didn't exist). This shouldn't be impossible to find.

Is it possible to update from safe mode?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I'll look into every idea mentioned.

Kurt

HP Recommended

Hello Kurt

I can't help more. Sorry.

I think it's not possible to update in safe mode.

I never tried to update using WIndows 10 USB key with all windows 10 binary. 

you create an USB key containing Win10 installation filewith your preferred Windows 10 version , use Windows media creator by Microsoft.

then from Win10 1703 executed setup.exe from USB KEy and follow the instruction.

Bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.