Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE Series - H8-1100Z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wanted to try testing the Windows 11 Beta but was alerted my desktop does not meet the hardware requirements to do so. Specifically my motherboard (Gigabyte 2AC8 : M3970AM-HP) does not have or support TPM (Trusted Platform Module) which is required for Windows 11.  I went into the BIOs and so no reference to TPM so I assume it does not have it.

I read where you can in some cases get an external TPM module to install on the motherboard but it appears my motherboard does not support that. 

It seems like my only options to run Windows 11 now or once it is released is to either get a newer motherboard or new desktop.

I am looking for any advice, opinions, or recommendations on options or next steps.

Thanks!

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Jeff:

Your PC's processor is not supported for W11, and does not support secure boot along with not having a TPM 2.0 device.

You can install the W11 developers version and use it until W11 is released to the public.

Then you will need to reinstall W10.

I'm running W11 Pro in an old HP 8200 Elite CMT. 

I had a spare 2.5" SSD, so I unplugged the drive with W10 on it and clean installed W11 by using the tricks out there on the internet to bypass the system checks.

The only things it has that meet the W11 system requirements, is it has a UEFI BIOS, and the dx12 graphics requirements, since I had installed a Nvidia GT 1030 graphics card it in a few years ago.

It only has an Intel 2nd gen core processor, TPM 1.2, and does not support secure boot.

W11 runs great.  Fast, smooth, no crashes...I had to use some W7/W10 drivers on a couple of devices but they installed just fine.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, Jeff:

Your PC's processor is not supported for W11, and does not support secure boot along with not having a TPM 2.0 device.

You can install the W11 developers version and use it until W11 is released to the public.

Then you will need to reinstall W10.

I'm running W11 Pro in an old HP 8200 Elite CMT. 

I had a spare 2.5" SSD, so I unplugged the drive with W10 on it and clean installed W11 by using the tricks out there on the internet to bypass the system checks.

The only things it has that meet the W11 system requirements, is it has a UEFI BIOS, and the dx12 graphics requirements, since I had installed a Nvidia GT 1030 graphics card it in a few years ago.

It only has an Intel 2nd gen core processor, TPM 1.2, and does not support secure boot.

W11 runs great.  Fast, smooth, no crashes...I had to use some W7/W10 drivers on a couple of devices but they installed just fine.

HP Recommended

@JeffYuhas 

Like @Paul_Tikkanen I am running Win11 on old hardware -- but as he said, you have to perform some tricks to get it to install because it is the INSTALLER that enforces the MS hardware requirements, not the OS.

For information on how to do this, go to the community Windows 11 forums:  (4) Windows 11 Forum (elevenforum.com)

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks Paul!!

HP Recommended

Thanks WAWood!! 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Jeff. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.