Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there a way to make my HP Compaq Elite 8300 capable of running Windows 11.  I know it says it can't run windows 11, but just because they say it can't, does that mean it really can't?  I mean, they also said it could only run on the original psu, but I'm running a 1000W GQ.  So if anyone knows a workaround I'm very interested.  I just can't imagine this PC being ready for the scrap heap in a year.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Kirknadian 

I'm running W11 Pro just fine on two HP 8200 Elite CMT's I have.

You do not necessarily need to clean install W11.

I've done many in-place upgrades on my unsupported W10 PC's to W11.

If you are interested in installing W11 on your PC as is, you can read this discussion for how I upgraded several HP and Dell notebook and desktop PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements to W11 22H2.

You have to use the version of the Rufus utility that I zipped up and attached in the discussion (v3.18).

Re: Issues upgrading to windows 11 - HP Support Community - 8517912

If the in-place upgrade fails, then you will need to clean install W11 using the bootable W11 installation flash drive you made with Rufus.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

https://jensd.be/1860/windows/upgrade-to-windows-11-22h2-on-unsupported-hardware

you will have to do a clean install, not an upgrade.

Go here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-elite-8300-microtower-pc/5232859

and get the drivers for windows 7 64 bit.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Hi, @Kirknadian 

I'm running W11 Pro just fine on two HP 8200 Elite CMT's I have.

You do not necessarily need to clean install W11.

I've done many in-place upgrades on my unsupported W10 PC's to W11.

If you are interested in installing W11 on your PC as is, you can read this discussion for how I upgraded several HP and Dell notebook and desktop PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements to W11 22H2.

You have to use the version of the Rufus utility that I zipped up and attached in the discussion (v3.18).

Re: Issues upgrading to windows 11 - HP Support Community - 8517912

If the in-place upgrade fails, then you will need to clean install W11 using the bootable W11 installation flash drive you made with Rufus.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much this is exactly what I was looking for.

HP Recommended

The information you provided is greatly appreciated and would have been selected as the final solution except that there was another that allowed an upgrade without requiring a complete reinstall.  You have provided me with valuable information however and I sincerely thank you.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

When W11 23H2 comes out on October 10th, once you see the 23H2 download available on the W11 download site, you will need to make a new bootable USB installer with Rufus v3.18 and the W11 23H2 ISO file to update W11 22H2 to W11 23H2.

Unsupported PC will never be eligible to get the future W 11 releases via Windows update. 

So we will have to do this routine once a year. 

The rest of the year, the  PC gets all of the routine cumulative, security updates, etc.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.