Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-035ed
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

According to the PC Health Check my HP Pavilion 500-035ed does not support Windows 11. Reasons: TPM 2.0 is not enabled and the Intel Core i7-3770 is not supported.

Does someone know a secure work around?

- I read somewhere I can modify a registry value that prevents the installer from checking on TPM and CPU compatibility. Can I expect issues with my Core i7-3770 when I do so?

- my current bios is v8.15. Version 8.17 did not install properly. Can I install bios 8.17 with a USB stick instead of with a Windows updater?

Thanks in advance,

SJW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is how I installed W11 on an older model HP PC with an i7-2600 processor.  No issues at all.

If you want to see if W11 works on your PC, you can make a bootable W11 USB installer from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows11

See this article.  3rd headline from the bottom.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-11-how-to-get-it-now-or-later/?ftag=TREc64629f&bhid...

If for some reason, W11 does not work correctly on your PC, you can reinstall W10.

I currently have W11 clean installed on two PC's that I have, that do not meet the requirements for the W11 upgrade and they both work fine on W11 so far.

I used the free Macrium Reflect software to make system images of the W10 installation before I installed W11.

You may want to do the same. 

Make a system image using Macrium reflect, and if W11 doesn't work right, you can easily go back to your current W10 installation.

You save the image on a portable hard drive and the software will have you make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD you boot from to access the system image stored on the portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

You want the file listed on the left side of the webpage under the Backup at Home section.

Yesterday was Microsoft's 'Patch Tuesday,' and I had heard about the possibility that Microsoft would not offer the monthly security updates to PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements.

Both of my non-supported W11 PC's got the all of the security updates yesterday, so that is good news.

The BIOS files for your PC were only written to be run in Windows, and I don't know of any way to get around that.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is how I installed W11 on an older model HP PC with an i7-2600 processor.  No issues at all.

If you want to see if W11 works on your PC, you can make a bootable W11 USB installer from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows11

See this article.  3rd headline from the bottom.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-11-how-to-get-it-now-or-later/?ftag=TREc64629f&bhid...

If for some reason, W11 does not work correctly on your PC, you can reinstall W10.

I currently have W11 clean installed on two PC's that I have, that do not meet the requirements for the W11 upgrade and they both work fine on W11 so far.

I used the free Macrium Reflect software to make system images of the W10 installation before I installed W11.

You may want to do the same. 

Make a system image using Macrium reflect, and if W11 doesn't work right, you can easily go back to your current W10 installation.

You save the image on a portable hard drive and the software will have you make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD you boot from to access the system image stored on the portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

You want the file listed on the left side of the webpage under the Backup at Home section.

Yesterday was Microsoft's 'Patch Tuesday,' and I had heard about the possibility that Microsoft would not offer the monthly security updates to PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements.

Both of my non-supported W11 PC's got the all of the security updates yesterday, so that is good news.

The BIOS files for your PC were only written to be run in Windows, and I don't know of any way to get around that.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

Thanks a lot for your explanation and guidance!

I will try one of these days.

Kind regards,

SJW

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen --  I had heard about the possibility that Microsoft would not offer the monthly security updates to PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements.

That would be strange. Microsoft has committed to creating & releasing security-updates for Windows 10 through to October 2025. 

If you're talking about updates to Windows 11, that seems to be a drastic step for Microsoft to take.

I would expect that such "blocking" software would pop-up a message like "unable to continue, because your computer is not capable of running Windows 11".

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, @sjwestra 

@itsmyname 

I am referring to unsupported PC's that are running W11 not getting security updates. 

W10 is fully supported until Oct of 2025.

This is one of several sources I found that refer to no security updates for unsupported PC's running W11...

Unsupported Windows 11 PCs will not have access to updates (pcinvasion.com)

Naturally a PC from 2011 like one of the ones I am using to test out W11, is not going to receive any driver updates, but as I wrote yesterday, I received the same security updates that my HP PC that is fully supported to run W11 received.

So, as of now unsupported W11 PC's are receiving the same security updates that supported ones are.

The 2 unsupported PC's I am running W11 on also get the daily windows defender security definition updates.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen -- it seems like "the jury is still out".

From:  https://www.pcworld.com/article/395083/the-gotcha-installing-windows-11-on-an-unsupported-pc-disable...

Essentially, what this means is that your unsupported Windows 11 PC could receive updates. Or it might not. Or it might for a time, and then cease. Or it may receive some patches and not others. Microsoft is simply not saying what will happen, or when.

Waffles, any one?    🙂

HP Recommended

Hello
This is what I've been indicating for a long time now
we have the Official link, and it is not clear at all!
I don't know if there is an update of the information at this time.
But that could be changed if there is user pressure, or whatever ..

Windows 11 on devices that don't meet minimum system requirements 

This PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for running Windows 11 - these requirements help ensure a more reliable and higher quality experience. Installing Windows 11 on this PC is not recommended and may result in compatibility issues. If you proceed with installing Windows 11, your PC will no longer be supported and won't be entitled to receive updates. Damages to your PC due to lack of compatibility aren't covered under the manufacturer warranty.

more difficult for me to find links in English ..
But some sites, indicate that for many incompatible computers, there was no problem for the new update, but nothing specific, official, which explains why for the moment.

https://www.01net.com/actualites/windows-11-les-pc-non-compatibles-recoivent-toujours-les-mises-a-jo...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.