Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello community.

I have an issue with a refurnished HP EliteDesk 800 G1 which had Windows 10 Pro installed when we bought it, but originally came with Windows 7. The issue is that after the setup and updates, Windows is still saying that it isn't activated. I managed to retrieve what I believe is the OEM licence that came with it using ShowKeyPlus, which one of your community expert members mentioned in another post. I used this key to both attempt to activate the curently installed Windows 10 Pro and to download the Windows 7 ISO from the Microsoft website (after reading that the OEM key only works with W7 that came with the PC), and in both attempts it gives an error.

So my questions is: Is there another way to activate Windows 10 Pro using the OEM licence it originally came with? And is it possible to download the OEM version of Windows 7 in order to try the licence key I retrieved?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi
ShowKeyPlus from the Microsoft Store (probably the best choice).
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/showkeyplus/9pkvzcprx9nv?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

The output is like this....
ShowKeyPlus - Windows Product Key Information

Product Name: Windows 10 Home
Version: 12345.678 (64-bit OS)
Product ID: 00000-00000-00000-AAOEM
Installed Key: 12345-67890-09876-54321
OEM Key: MICRO-SOFTY-WINDO-WSTEN-64BIT
OEM Edition: Win 10 RTM Core OEM:DM

ALSO
KeyFinderInstaller may help.…
It gives this…. – CD Key: 12345-67890-09876-54321

ELSE
There is a possibility of finding the same value in the Registry....
USING RegEdit the key is listed below and it’s content also shown.
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

BackupProductKeyDefault 12345-67890-09876-54321

Three different names for the same value in 3 different software methods.

Which you have done, then download an iso from Heidoc, it does not ask for or provide a LICENCE KEY.

Heidc 11-11-19.png

AND

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Those two key retrievel software give the same result as the one in the Windows registry, I assume because that's where the software is getting the information from.

Thanks for the link for the Windows 7 download, I'll try that now and see if the key works when attempting to install W7.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I cannot dowload a copy of Windows 7 yet as the available keys for the month have been used, so I will need to wait till next month.

HP Recommended

Hi, @BenF42 

Most Elitedesk 800 G1's should have either a W8 Pro or W8.1 Pro product key in the BIOS.

What OEM version of Windows does the Showkey plus report indicate?

It should be W8 or W8.1.

This is what my PC's showkey plus report indicates...

OEM Edition: Win 8.1 RTM Professional OEM:DM

Once you let me know, that, I will give you a free way to install W8.1 Pro and then from there, you should most likely be able to upgrade for free to W10 Pro.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

According to ShowKeyPlus it came with Windows 7.

OEM Key:  Windows 7 OEM marker present in firmware

I don't get the OEM Edition line.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi:

That is unfortunate.

There should be a W7 product key on the PC's case then.

Did you try the W7 Pro Retail ISO file download from the Heidoc site?

It would only be in USA English, but the OEM product key should work on it.  You may have to use the automated Microsoft phone activation system.

Here is the link...it will be good for 24 hours from the time I posted this reply.  W7 Pro x64

https://download.microsoft.com/download/0/6/3/06365375-C346-4D65-87C7-EE41F55F736B/7601.24214.180801...

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul,

No key present anywhere on the chassis.

I also couldn't download Windows 7 Pro from the Heidoc site as it tells me I need to wait till next month for fresh download links.

Thanks for the provided link, I'll download it now and see if it works.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You won't be able to activate Windows without a key.

If you are finding a W7 installed key, most likely it is a volume license key, and those can't be used to activate an installation no matter what.

You have nothing to lose by trying it of course.

You are probably going to have to buy a copy of Windows.

HP Recommended

In the last year I bought a used HP p6501f desktop that had Windows 7 originally but was updated to Windows 10 when I got it. I put a new 1tb drive in it, downloaded a Windows 7 ISO from MS, installed that, then used the product key from the COA sticker on the case. I got a message from MS that I needed to call them with a code they provided which I entered, then they gave me another code to enter(which I did) and I then saw that Windows was activated and that it is Genuine Windows. I recently bought a used HP p6320f empty case only and built my own( Gigabyte MB, AMD 6350 processor, Crucial 8gb RAM and a generic multi format optical drive) in the case. I used the previously downloaded Win 7 ISO and the product key on the case 's COA sticker. I had to go through the same process with the code they gave me, I called in and they gave me a new code to enter and Win7 was activated and Genuine.  Hope this helps in some way and if you have the COA sticker on the case you should get it working. If you don't see a COA sticker look very closely on the back it may have a Windows 8/8.sticker for which I know not how to obtain the product key,sorry.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.