Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 700 series desktop
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I ordered the Windows 8.1 System Recovery Kit and not having any success using it.

I'm getting the same screens that I was getting before when using the usb recovery stick I had created.

The recovery kit shipped from HP is four CDs.

Any option I choose tells me I cannot perform an operation due to write-protection, etc.

If I go to the command prompt, I get an x: drive.

I tried as many boot orders, bios settings, etc. but no success.

Initial error was Boot Device Not found.

When I try to set boot order to USB CD/floppy (or similar), nothing seems to happen.

Question:  Are the CDs from HP the same content as what I created using on-board recovery disc creation?

If my hard drive has failed, am I allowed to install another hd in the computer, reload Windows 8.1, and start from scratch?

I appreciate any help/tips, thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

YES.

From 2016 onwards there is a possible recovery option via the cloud...
HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 7 & 10)
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8iso

So  --  First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.
Rinse and Repeat; Re-Connect the AC adapter.

NOW begin checking/testing/proving the Hardware is fit for purpose.
Power on your PC, press ESC (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).

X:\chkdsk C: /f /r /x

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Thanks for reply.  Do you think the document for win7/10 will help with 8.1?

Unplug AC adaptor = unplug power cable?

I've already done the system memory/hard drive tests and both passed.

After resetting boot order, it couldn't find the hard drive, so I probably need to get hd back to first.

I had set to CD since I thought the recovery discs would be recognized/boot up from there.

But it just behaved as if I had inserted the usb recovery media I created a long time ago.

I think I already did chkdsk but will do again as you suggest and report back.

HP Recommended

Hi, @MusicalGym 

The HP cloud recovery tool will not work for your PC's model series.

If the HP recovery media isn't working, see if you can clean install W8.1.

You will need to have access to another Windows PC for this process.

Download the applicable W8.1 64 bit ISO file from the link below.  You probably need the plain W8.1 version depending on your exact model  Envy 700 series desktop PC.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

On a PC that came with W8 or newer, in order to boot from a DVD, you have to go into the BIOS, enable legacy mode, and disable secure boot.

See this link for the settings to change.

https://www.support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03736054/

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul, I will try the suggestions you and blue gave, but I would like to be able to use the recovery kit I purchased, if possible.

Will HP refund the purchase amount if the kit is unusable in my case?

I appreciate all the help.

Jim

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Jim.

Since I don't work for or represent HP, I would  be unable to let you know if you would get a refund.

I would hope so, since the recovery media doesn't work and I highly doubt it will.

You can call HP customer service at: 1 (866) 724-8600

HP Recommended

Download tool is for Windows 7.

HP Recommended

The tool works to transfer any Windows ISO file to a USB or DVD so that it is bootable.

The utility was developed during the time W7 was the mainstream operating system.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.