Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 700-060ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I bought a HP ENVY 700-060ea a few years ago. Windows 8.1 came pre-installed and updated to widows 10 a few years ago with no issues. 

I am now looking at replacing hardware to keep it up to date however I have been warned that I will need to re-activate my windows product key once hardware changes are detected. 

Given that windows was pre-installed where do I find my windows product key ? 

I have looked for a sticker on the machine but there doesn't seem to be one. 

Thanks in advance,

Christopher 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have zipped up and attached a free utility below that will show you the version of W8.1 and the product key that is in the BIOS.

Unless you replace the motherboard, you should not have to reactivate Windows, and if you do replace the motherboard, the key that is in the BIOS of the current motherboard you have now, would be worthless.

HP Recommended

@Chris_npn 

To extend what @Paul_Tikkanen has already said, I know for a fact that you can replace the following hardware in  a desktop PC without having to worry about reactivating it:

1) hard drive -- with another HDD or an SSD

2) system memory

3) video card (if you need one)

4) sound card (if you need one)

5) USB port add-on card (if you need one)

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi  @Paul_Tikkanen  and @WAWood,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! 

I had been looking at replacement of the motherboard and CPU. 

My understanding was that if I replaced both I could then use the existing windows activation key to acknowledge the changes in hardware and  therefore re-authenticate windows with the new hardware.

I'll be honest I have never tried this before which is another reason I asked the original question, I'm much more familiar with hardware than soft/firmware and licencing! 

Is there any way to replace the CPU and motherboard and re-authenticate windows without having to re-purchase windows ?

Thanks in advance,

Christopher  

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Christopher.

Unfortunately that would not be possible.

To Microsoft, a new motherboard = a new PC = a new license is required.

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/industry-blog/en-gb/cross-industry/2013/05/14/licensing-logic-whats...

I recommend that you purchase a new motherboard with the Windows product key included.

It may be cheaper than buying the operating system separately.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.