Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 14"

I have been in touch with numerous Microsoft employees to solve this issue and none of the solutions provided have solved this issue.  I have Windows 10 Home v2004, updated the fingerprint scanner in biometric devices (as well as deleted it once as per recommendation), followed the advice on another post where I added somethingPinLogon and none have worked. I was then directed to this community! For all of the windows hello options, it says currently unavailable. It has not always been like this but I'm not sure why it changed.. Please help 😞 

sgsd.png

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@alicew494 

I cannot offer much - I've been avoiding Windows 2004 simply because there are very few HP drivers available for this version.

The PIN you have to fix in Windows - PIN logon is completely a Windows thing.

In fact, PIN must be set before the fingerprint logon.

PIN assignment is mandatory to enable fingerprint reader

Windows key > Settings > Account > Sign-in Options > PIN number

Lots of references on the net, for example:

Microsoft - Fix problems with your PIN

Since the setup was working before you migrated to Windows 2004

AND

If Windows 2004 has not done something "under the hood" for the sensor in this new OS release,

then

You could try reinstalling the fingerprint sensor driver from Windows 1909.

Where are the software and drivers for your computer?

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Fingerprint reader / sensor drivers are in

Category Driver-Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Happy that someone responded to your plea for help? Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

References

TKB Article contributed by HP Expert WAWood

Updating your laptop to Windows 10 v2004 -- May 2020 Update

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello, I'm not sure why they would tell me to come to this community then. I was on Windows 1909 before and updated to 2004 today in hopes it would fix the problem. It was not working on the 1909 version either. I have one fingerprint in the system already that works on occasion to open the laptop but I would really like to set up face sign in. 

I'm not very tech savvy so I'm not sure where the software and drivers are. 

I followed the support home link and opened Driver-Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices. Am I supposed to download all of these? 

HP Recommended

@alicew494 

Yeah, Updating to a new "not quite supported" release probably didn't help matters.  That is a personal opinion and does not mean Microsoft should not do what it does.  Were I Microsoft and I had a shiny new release available, I'd want people to use it, too.  Done deal - doesn't matter and all that.

Microsoft dropped you off here because Microsoft could not fix the issue using generic fingerprint drivers in Windows - it is not a bad thing - sometimes the generic Windows drivers are all you need.  They ran out of ideas, is all.

I cannot see what you are looking at.  ??  There are a bunch of "Pavilion x360 14" machines out there.

General Answer:

No, you don't download all the drivers,

You only ever install the software / driver you want...

You download and install the most recent driver for the fingerprint reader - hopefully the one for V2004 but more likely you will find one for V1909.

Regardless, nothing is going to work with the fingerprint driver until you can do something about that PIN.  Unless something has changed in the new Windows, the PIN has to be working first.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Happy that someone responded to your plea for help? Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.