Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion P6-2200ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After much discussion with Microsoft and hours on the phone they have concluded the reason I cannot upgrade from 1803 to 1903 is because it is not supported by HP on my machine. They want to flatten it and start again but there is no guarantee it will work as HP is not supporting win10 on my machine.  So that it out.  Is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@SimonDean 

Yours is a 2012-era PC and it probably is NOT going to work well with Win10 -- which is what MS is telling you.

I don't know what it is you expect US to do to change that -- as there is nothing we can do about it.

I don't know what MS meant by "flatten" your PC, but my guess is they were telling you to create Win10 install media and do something known as a clean-install -- which would basically erase everything that is currently on the PC.  We would be recommending the same approach -- with the same result.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

We have been through everything with MS and yes, their next step is to wipe the machine and reinstall 1903. I have stopped this as there is no point if, as I now know, Win 10 is unsupported and I may be in a position where connectivity problems and other issues prevent normal operation of the PC. I was just wondering if this was resolvable without throwing away my PC (which is adequate for my needs) and buying a new one.  It would appear that sadly, this is not the case. Thanks for your quick response in any case.

HP Recommended

Hi, @SimonDean 

There is one thing you can try if you want regarding the clean install.

First back up any files you need to save onto a portable hard drive, and have any program installation files available to reinstall.

Then download and install this free system imaging software.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Create a system image of your current installation with Macrium Reflect.  Also have it create the bootable DVD or USB flash drive you will need to access the system image.

Once that is done, you can make a bootable W10 installer using the Media Creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This will install the latest version of W10 (v1909).

If things don't work to your expectations, then you can boot from the Macrium rescue media and restore your current image.

I will say that once in a blue moon the recovery process doesn't work.

It's a gamble that only you can decide whether or not you want to undertake.

I would try it, but our experience and comfort levels are all different when working with PC's.

HP Recommended

I will second the post above. For all the HP I upgraded to windows 10, none has failed yet (newer than 2014).  Windows update sometimes has its own problem and may be corrupted. That's why it wouldn't upgrade to 1903.  A clean installation would definitely solve your problem. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.