Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G3 MT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Windows Update prompted me Wednesday to update to the newest version of Windows.

I downloaded the >4Gb Windows 10 software update (which took nearly 6 hours), started to install it and stopped & rollbacked then after about 90% installed and came back with the message that I had to contact Microsoft Support with the error code 0xc1900208.

I googled that error code and found that the file CompatData... with the latest time tag (in C:\Windows\Panther\NewOs\Panther) contains the software or driver that caused the blocking. I opened it with Notepad++.  The last line mentions a 'hard blocking' due to HP Drive Encryption.

All previous Windows Updates happened without any problem.

I never changed a setting in HP Client Security and I even never opened it.

Can someone help me with this problem, so that I can let Windows Update install successfully its latest version (Maker's update)?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Eric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@EricWout wrote:

Hi,

When I unchecked the C: drive, I didn't noticed in the right below corner Apply (I have a Dutch layout and I don't know if that's Apply in English). So I clicked Apply and I had too restart my PC.

I then restarted HP Client Security and clicked on Data and saw that it was decrypting my C: drive.

My question is now: will Windows Update now succeed to install the most recent Maker's Update or do I have to do something else for that?

I have now some additional questions:

1) Is there a way to start my PC without having to enter my password again like I had to do now because of HP Client Security?

2) Couldn't I simply uninstall HP Drive Encryption? I never used it before and my C: drive was clearly not encrypted.

3) Why didn't HP provide us with a compatible HP Drive Encryption software???

Best regards,

Eric

Thank you for your detailed reply. I recommend you relax. This is just a software requirement of the operating system and how computers works.

Windows (or any other OS) cannot update/reinstall itself when you have an encryption layer and when your main partition is encrypted. HP Drive Encryption is a security software which provides Full Disk Encryption. Even if the newer version of HP Drive Encryption was compatible, your PC would still had to have the decryption removed. It's a Windows requirement, not an HP one.

If it is now decrypting (or already fully decrypted), you need to leave it this way - decrypted

• Then, go to Control Panel > Programs and features
  • Uninstall HP Drive Encryption (and restart the PC)
  • Uninstall any HP security sofywares (such as Disk Sanitizer, or others you might have) - restart the PC
  • Eventually, uninstall HP Client Security (and restart the PC)

You may also consider uninstalling security products from 3rd party companies (Norton/Symantec, McAfee, etc....)

Having these removed will make it possible for you to update Windows 10.

Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

and download the Windows 10 Update Assistant

Run it and it will update your Windows

Hope this helps. Let me know if this works for you 🙂

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @EricWout

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

Could you go to Start -> type control.exe to open Control panel

There, check in "Programs and features" if you have HP Drive Encryption software present

Let me know

If you open HP Client Security, under "Data" or Drive Security, is it enabled/encrypted ?

Please, check this , as well >> https://support.hp.com/sk-en/document/c05225576

enr1.PNGenc0.PNG

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your fast reply!

>There, check in "Programs and features" if you have HP Drive Encryption software present

Yes, HP Drive Encryption is indeed installed on my PC.

>If you open HP Client Security, under "Data" or Drive Security, is it enabled/encrypted ?

I never used HP Client Security until now. So I started it for the very first time now.

It first asked me to create a Windows password, so I created one.

It then asked me to choose and reply to 3 security questions, which I did.

It then asked me to restart my PC, which I did.

When my PC restarted, I had to enter my new password, of course.

I then started HP Client Security again (or it started by itself, I don't remember).

I then clicked Data Security and saw that it was encrypting my C: drive!!!!!!! I unchecked that check box, but it continious to encrypt my C: drive!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT NOW??? I don't want an encrypted C: drive and Windows Update for the lastest Maker's update will surely not work now!

Please advise urgently.

Best regards,

Eric

HP Recommended

Hi,

When I unchecked the C: drive, I didn't noticed in the right below corner Apply (I have a Dutch layout and I don't know if that's Apply in English). So I clicked Apply and I had too restart my PC.

I then restarted HP Client Security and clicked on Data and saw that it was decrypting my C: drive.

My question is now: will Windows Update now succeed to install the most recent Maker's Update or do I have to do something else for that?

1) Is there a way to start my PC without having to enter my password again like I had to do now because of HP Client Security?

2) Couldn't I simply uninstall HP Drive Encryption? I never used it before and my C: drive was clearly not encrypted.

Best regards,

Eric

HP Recommended

@EricWout wrote:

Hi,

Best regards,

Eric

Thank you for your detailed reply. I recommend you relax. This is just a software requirement of the operating system and how computers works.

Windows (or any other OS) cannot update/reinstall itself when you have an encryption layer and when your main partition is encrypted. HP Drive Encryption is a security software which provides Full Disk Encryption. Even if the newer version of HP Drive Encryption was compatible, your PC would still had to have the decryption removed. It's a Windows requirement, not an HP one.

If it is now decrypting (or already fully decrypted), you need to leave it this way - decrypted

• Then, go to Control Panel > Programs and features
  • Uninstall HP Drive Encryption (and restart the PC)
  • Uninstall any HP security sofywares (such as Disk Sanitizer, or others you might have) - restart the PC
  • Eventually, uninstall HP Client Security (and restart the PC)

You may also consider uninstalling security products from 3rd party companies (Norton/Symantec, McAfee, etc....)

Having these removed will make it possible for you to update Windows 10.

Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

and download the Windows 10 Update Assistant

Run it and it will update your Windows

Hope this helps. Let me know if this works for you 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

I did exactly as you suggested me to do and the update went well now. My PC runs now Windows 10 Pro 1709.

Thank you very much for your help, that was indeed very fast and very clear and helpful!

By the way, the download took 6 hours because of my "slow" broadband internet connection: max. 2 Mbps... 😞

The installation itself took about 1 hour (also because of my bad internet connection, because the installation process downloaded nearly 1 Gb additional software.

Best regards,

Eric

HP Recommended

Hi @EricWout

Thank you very much for your update. I'm feeling your issue is solved now.

Well, you might consider looking for a different Internet Service Provider with better speed and bigger capacity.

Don't hesitate to post again in the HP forum if you have any other questions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.