Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Good evening.

Did you try removing all of the memory and just testing one module at a time in the primary memory slot to see which memory chip(s) is/ae bad?

Because if the PC beeps on all 4 of them, that is not a good sign. 

It would be hard to believe that all 4 chips are bad, and that would point the motherboard being shot.

HP Recommended

Good afternoon Paul.  In UK, entire British Isles under Atlantic Storm Brendan, western Scotland experienced winds approaching 90 mph.  No reported casualties so far!

I'll try your suggestion.  Had not done this,  as assumed all 4 DIMMs had to be in place. But, yes, makes sense: if merely testing for a fault, no need for all 516 MB of memory.  Today had already thought of just ordering ONE HP DIMM (as tester) as I too reckoned SURELY only one is faulty.  All I did was disco power and lead connections, remove chassis cover and fit new battery......then no monitor signal.  Would feel better attempting the upgrades WERE machine operating!

Am using same leads as supplied with hardware.  The only lead that fits to monitor has black end at PC, the bifurcates ending in 2 x blue sockets with finger screws.  Both blue sockets give same 5 beep result.   Black cable exits from graphics card (which IF dc7600 OK, I'd have to upgrade anyway). then attaches to blue socket in an NEC monitor.  I have 2 x NECs, and both are black-screened with same same error message.  It cannot be cabling error.

HP's Troubleshooting Guide for dc7600, on the 5 red bleeps, does END with "replace the system board".  Mind you, for 6, 7 and 8 red bleeps that's also their worst case scenario fix.  I assume system board = mother board and THAT is far beyond anyone.

So far, have only spent £60 on the WXP to W7 upgrade, and that can be advertised on eBay.  Monitors could still be used with a laptop PC, with suitable adapter connections, so not a total wrote off yet!

HP Recommended

Good afternoon.

Sounds like a heck of a storm.

We had slightly less windy conditions here in St. Louis, USA.  60 MPH, and several inches of rain for two days.  Local flooding and down south tornadoes killed 11.  I wonder if that storm left the Atlantic coast of the US and headed toward the UK.

It sounds to me like the graphics card your PC has is one of those with a DMS-59 output which drives two monitors.

The 5 beeps is bad memory or worse case scenario...bad motherboard.

So, test each memory chip one at a time in the primary socket and see if the PC quits beeping and you get some kind of signal to the monitor.  You don't need to connect both of them by the way.  One of those leads will work with one monitor and the other can just dangle.

HP Recommended

Hi again Paul, sorry to read about the Gulf coast states fatalities.  Hurricane season should be over(?), I think the UK situation is (Arctic) Polar Vortex -caused : North Atlantic Jet Stream gets disturbed, creating several deep depressions of SE Iceland, leading to current British Isles weather.

Meanwhile, have connected one monitor via the graphics card output (as previously); the other monitor via the PROPER outlet (the square emblem on rear of dc7600).  BOTH monitors not receiving a signal.     Cannot get them to BOTH state their No signal message together, as said messages only last some 5 seconds.

Yes, re graphics card output, I could equally have cabled the 2nd monitor from graphics card output. I'll take your analysis it's a DMS-59 Irrespective of cabling, same result.  The graphics card may have been changed at the Barclays Banking Group, however that's not the problem as set up WAS demonstrated here (if only using Photoshop as all other data and files erased).  And, prior to changing battery, i took several photos of the various Windows XP pages, in September 2019.  I did not input any data or files, there was not any data to observe, I just wanted to look at the historic Windows XP again!  Has not worked since changing battery.  

I knew the battery was round, I only had to find the battery.  All else was confusing, so did not play about.  Battery I eventually found was slightly obscured by power input box.  Later lifted up used small screwdriver to prise out battery, then push in new one with finger.  Nothing else came loose, there was and still is nothing rattling about inside.  No burning smell when powered up again.  Merely the 5 beeps and the No video signal message.

OK, the one at a time DIMM check now.

HP Recommended

Hi again Paul, 

DIMM 1, in primary black seating of Channel A, works OK.  Monitor connected to Proper output to a screen reads 256 MB, System Options Not Set, the a wording way of saying Real Time Clock is wrong.  Battery was unused and fairly new, it cannot have packed up in 5 months.

Monitor connected via graphics card still real No video signal.  Pattern seems emerging already.

HP Recommended

Now that you got a display by removing the memory and testing one chip the system options not set is normal.

You changed the battery and now you have to go into the BIOS, set the time and date and whatnot.

Did you get to do that after you replaced the battery?  If not, then you can do it now that you got a display and the PC quit beeping at you.

So it is possible the graphics card is no good if you are getting a view from the onboard graphics output (blue VGA port).

HP Recommended

Hi again Paul,

Toshiba had played up, switching my one mouse between PCs unwise, but all back up now.

Earlier, I'd noticed the graphics card output missing one of the holding bolts, the type with smaller thread in its head, where one tightens up the cable connector.  So, removed one form the printer output and used that.  HIGHLY LIKELY graphics card mechanically damaged, however has to be replaced anyway.  AND consistent i cannot get any video signal on monitor connected to card on ANY of the DIMMs.

Meanwhile: placing each in turn into black socket on Channel A: DIMMs 1 and 4 are fine, in fact am using DIMM 4 (KIngston make) in primary socket as I type this.  And the Windows XP 'desktop' background up on the other monitor. DIMM 1 is the HP SMT brand.

I also reset date and clock when using DIMM 1.  Battery is fine, steady green light and awful beeping has CEASED!  

Hence, 2 defective DIMMs and, due to moving about too much, probably a defective graphics card.  Could have been a whole lot worse though.

Will pack up now.  Enormous thanks for your advice re sequentially testing each  DIMM, I've got there.  2 out of 4 duff.  It's a doable upgrade now.  

DVD bay has a DVD, Drive D?, the DVD could be blank, as no response.  Tried a music DVD, Windows XP Media Player stated no disc in drive! BUT, on inserting a music CD, Error ID came up.  "Cannot play the file", and error code is 0x00D11BA..  "...there is a problem with your sound device, such as a sound card or sound controller".  Windows XP is however "ready" to copy the 10 tracks to C:/Documents and Settings.  

And gives the correct date and time.

This consistent with the duff graphics card, as I assume THAT covers or impinges on audio output.  

THAT has to be replaced before any attempt at upgrading to Windows 7.

Made some progress today then!

HP Recommended

Hi again Paul,

UPDATE: my stupidity.  Have switched output leads between the 2 monitors.  Can confirm: the output from the graphics card DOES produce Windows XP to 'its' connected monitor, although I still have no audio output.

The output from the rear socket (with the square monitor emblem) and just below the printer socket, produces no video image at all.  It's dark even with lights on, and all black cables look alike.  

When hardware demonstrated to me, only one monitor connected and THAT connected to graphics card.  That's why I always copied that way.

Am sure the proper output socket is an easy fix.  If one more thing to do, and WILL NOT prevent upgrade to Windows 7.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Glad you made some progress.

The add on graphics card automatically disables the onboard video, so that action is normal.

Not sure about the sound.

Could be that you need to connect a speaker jack to the light green audio out port.

The PC should have an internal speaker but it could be broken, the wire disconnected from the motherboard, or disabled in the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Good morning Paul,

Yes, progress happening.  Speaker (at front next to cooling fan) works perfectly, in fact almost too loud.  Minus the 5 bleeps now, but I'd noticed PC gives the normal one beep when it's fully 'up'.  And, as very little space between it and my Toshiba, even a slight nudge gives one beep.  Unknown if another speaker also exists.  Tech Spec state JBL speaker, which is an excellent brand, and it definitely makes a sound.

The Media Player could be giving a false positive.  As with  loading a (say) music CD into either a CD player, or a DVD one connected to a TV, or even (and I now have 2 of these) a TV with built in CD/DVD player): one gets a list of tracks, can select and play in any order.  But not the song titles.  That's exactly what I got with the music CD.  Media Player could tell it had 10 tracks, absolutely it did have 10 tracks. 

But also stated No CD in Drive D.  There's no other drive, there's no floppy disk rive  or a firm or floppy diskette drive.  And only one CD drive.  More likely is the CD player at fault and sends conflicting message to Windows Media Player. Less likely is CD player fine, and Media Payer (part of the W XP OS) at fault.

Model is LTN-4891S, CT2, HP official model (if made in China), ROM only, 1.5A/12V.  Sated November 2005. Ribbon cable at top, which connects to motherboard near the power input box.  No obvious tear or disco.  At top, nearest the LH edge of chassis (viewed as if PC operator), P6 Power connector: this has 4 slots for the 4 pins.  Tucked inside, a P5 Power connector: has micro pins, like on a camera photocard memory reader, but I've no socket it fits.  This P5 connector then branches to a P2 connector, with 4 holes, but shape of its plastic end does not fit anything either.

At 'other' end of the top, in centre of chassis:  2 pin digital audio socket, 4 pin analog audio socket and minute Cable Select, plus Slave and Master.  That lot have no wires attached, yet there's no spare wires inside either.  No obviously unattached wiring in that general vicinity.

All very odd.  

As this desktop was in a room along with other troublesome hardware, some defects accepted.  Maybe staff, at their lunchbreaks, were playing CDs/DVDs?  Maybe this desktop ended with non-functioning  player?  It loads and unloads OK.  But does not turn disc.  It lifts out easily, a thoughtful bright green latch and out she comes..  Will research if accredited replacements exist, they're mechanically simple so cannot be a vast expense.  An IT tech, if no current meter available (and I have none), would swap a CD player and see what happens.

Can also insert movies on DVD, see what happens.  And try 'reader' whatever's on the TDK ROM disc on the Toshiba, or my TV or DVD/CD player.  I suspect it's a Welcome to Windows XP Professional: it's most improbably a bank would Save date to such a removable form.

Will also use headphone jack in Audio Out front port.  Toshiba has similar problem (usually happens after a big Microsoft update), very low to zero audio out via speakers, but via headphones it's perfect.  Speaker is easier, but via headphones is acceptable.

I have located the extremely small BIOS, but fear touching it.  Prefer to establish way of digitally reading it and see what i can adjust.  Setting time and date was simple, as Control Panel provides how to do this.  Unable to download internet help, as never connected it to internet.  And there's no point Microsoft proving such help now....Windows 7 no longer supported either.

Unable to progress the 'no signal from the proper output socket, as only have the one connector for it.  And non-bifurcating, maybe can obtain such online? From what you state, by REMOVING the graphic card, THAT should re-instate the video signal.  Video signal from either output would be fine, I only need the one video output.  And some different colour cables advisable too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.