Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion desktop PC570-p0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Shortly after installing an SSD, I notice that the HP logo that appears immediately after starting the machine stays on the screen a relatively long time (about 30 seconds). This happens during a straight boot up from a complete shut down, a reboot or after an awake from hibernation. I didn’t notice this immediately after installing the new SSD, but some time afterwards. I am running Windows 10 Home 64 which is up to date on a HP Pavilion PC 570-p0xx with a BIOS date of 12/11/19. I booted with my external drive disconnected and the boot went much faster. Now I wondering why this happens and if there is a way of avoiding having to de-power the external drive every time I boot or awake the machine. Incidentally, my keyboard and wireless mouse are also USB connected, but appear to have no effect on extending the boot or awake time. I also updated the external drive driver (the drive is a 1 TB Western Digital My Book) and that did not shorten the time.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@swede1933 

From your description, with the external drive connected, the Windows boot loader is searching there FIRST, looking for Windows boot files -- and only when, much later, it has given up looking for them, does it then search the SSD -- and boot from it.

I have the same problem with an HP laptop and the only "solution" is to have the external drive disconnected while booting -- and reconnect it afterward.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. Interestingly, the boot sequence I have set calls for the SSD first followed by the optical drive with the USB connected drive last. Since the computer should find the SSD first and boot from it, I would think it wouldn't search any further and never get to the USB connected hard drive. Would this not be the case?

I could run with the USB drive normally not connected, since I use it only for back up and it probably would be safer that way anyhow, but I was hoping to find the reason my computer just recently started behaving that way it does when it didn't immediately after I swapped the HDD for the SSD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.