Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp envy phoenix 810-170st
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

i ordered and received the recovery disks and installed.  During windows setup stage, the computer crashed.  Now it says :

Windows could not complete the installation.  To install windows on this computer,  restart the installation.

I used this fix cd: windows \systems32\oobe\msoobe

Now it said the password for administrator is incorrect.  

How can I finish or repair windows again without going back to factory reset?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am confused because the  purchased HP recovery disks you seem to refer to in your question will perform a HP factory recovery reset.

This Msoobe (Link) refers to the Microsoft out of box experience.

There should be no administrator password hurdle when setting up Windows after a successful Windows installation using HP recovery media.

First check hardware: tap "ESC", then select "F2". Run system tests.

Try a clean Windows 10 install at this site (Link). Only do a clean install if you backup up data. The best option is to have a good Windows backup image using external media and have a known good rescue boot disk or rescue USB stick that works with the backup image.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your suggestions.  I finally get the factory re-installation completed.  

When the pc's fan comes on and seems to run at loud noise level after about cpu is on for 3 minutes or so, the pc shuts down by itself.  Does it mean the fan is bad or the mother board is bad? or is it the bios that need updating?  If so, how to update bios.

Also, Is it possible to upgrade to windows 10 using the link you provided?  Any advice or instructions you can provide. 

Thank you in advance.

Veronica

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Okay, you finally completed a factory installation using the recovery media you purchased from HP. Is the PC shutting down at around 3 minutes after reinstalling this factory image? The PC is not working correctly after the factory installation if the PC cannot start Windows.

This suggests you have a hardware problem. The hardware problem could be the power supply, the power switch, or the motherboard.

I don't think installing the latest version of Windows 10 in my previous link will fix the problem. Try it. I think you have a hardware problem if HP recovery media does not resolve the issue.

It would be difficult to do a BIOS update if the PC cannot POST. I don't think a BIOS update will solve this problem.

A reputable local PC technician should be able to diagnose the problem. It is very difficult to diagnose a hardware problem in a forum. I believe you have a hardware problem.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you.

Thank goodness the PC stays on okay today after a morning boot up.  I will try to do a Windos 10 upgrade using your previous link.

Another question, This pc is on the 2nd floor, away from the 1st floor router.  Do you recommend to purchase a wireless network card, if yes, what model do you suggestion?

Thank you..

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

I would not do a manual Windows update to the latest version using the previous link if you did a successful factory installation. Wait for the Windows update using the Windows Update function on your PC. Your PC may not be ready to update to the latest version.

You have a CTO PC. You may have Bluetooth and wireless options now.

Are you having a network problem now?

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.