Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elite HPE-400y PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Error message window Explorer has stopped working. Desktop is now no longer on the screen but in the lower quick launch bar. I can launch Google Chrome and it operates fine but all the other applications wants their launched come back with error message Windows Explorer not responding? I ran a malware virus check on this PC it has none of either. It was working fine two days ago but all of a sudden this new issue appeared? thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Not a "remedy", but a "bypass" -- hold-down the ON/OFF button, until the computer turns off.  Then, turn the computer on, and see if the symptoms still are present.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Not a "remedy", but a "bypass" -- hold-down the ON/OFF button, until the computer turns off.  Then, turn the computer on, and see if the symptoms still are present.

HP Recommended
It came up and asked me if I wanted to start in safe mode and offered different options there. And it started right up like it's supposed to way to go, thanks so very much
HP Recommended
SHAZAM it worked. Thanks for helping us ignorant individual sometimes with the Simple Solutions. Thanks again for this for him
HP Recommended

I pushed on/off x3 different times; also unplugged for one minute and re-plugged. Still stuck. Can get only AOL, not explorer. That's how I accessed HP and this forum.

HP Recommended

@RonaeleW wrote:

I pushed on/off x3 different times; also unplugged for one minute and re-plugged.

Still stuck.

Can get only AOL, not explorer.

That's how I accessed HP and this forum.

Welcome to this forum.

Posting to a question that already has an "accepted solution" does not attract the attention of many contributors.

You should have opened a new question, and given details about your computer, and which version of Windows you are using (7? 8? 10?).

Anyway, Windows creates "checkpoints" before making software changes, such as what Windows Update does.

Yesterday was the "2nd Tuesday of the month (August 2018)" -- the scheduled date on which Microsoft releases security-updates.

So, was your computer working correctly before Tuesday at 10 AM Pacific?

(Actually, it may take your computer up to 24 hours before it notices that new updates have become available.)

If it was working correctly, Windows Update created a "checkpoint" before it started to make changes.

Thus, you can use the "System Restore" application in Windows to "roll-back" the status of Windows to the way it was at the time that the checkpoint was created.

That "roll-back" should return your computer to a correctly-working status.

Give it a try.

--------------

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

HP Recommended

Very informative. I did turn off/on once more and got a better response. I thank you for letting me know about updates. Yes, computer did work prior to anticipated update. Apparently the HP  printer also received an update. Now it shows four little white clock images against a gray background. Will likely turn off/on printer to try for a solution. It does not receive a request to print. 

First time I tried this forum

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.