Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hey Now... I am hoping somebody here is familiar with this problem and can offer me some help. My pc was working fine until I tried to reboot the other day and I recieved a no operating system found. please install operating system. I did a memory and hard drive diagnostic and both passed. I tried doing a startup repair and recieved a error code 80004001 message. While attempting to do a repair using a operating system image I momentarily could acces all my files and could see that they are all their yet I cannot get windows to load.. Any help would be appreciated

I am using a HP Envy 64bit desktop with windows 8.1 operating system

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

> I did a ... hard drive diagnostic and ...  passed.

Those diagnostics are not thorough enough -- anything that runs in 3 to 5 minutes cannot possibly have tested every block on the disk-drive.

> I tried doing a startup repair and received a error code 80004001 message.

Well, even when every "physical" block on the disk-drive is perfectly fine, the file-system stored on the disk-drive can be "logically" corrupted, such that Windows cannot be fully loaded.

From: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/error-0x80004001-reg...

0x80004001 error codes are caused by misconfigured system files in your windows operating system.

Follow the methods provided below and check if it works.

Method 1: Run system file checker(SFC) and see if it helps. Please follow these steps.

a. Press Windows + X keys and click command prompt(admin).

b. Type the following command in the command prompt and press Enter.

sfc /scannow

HP Recommended
I’ve run into this problem a few times on laptop and mini PC and both times something jarred the device enough to knock the hard drive out of its position. Take it apart really quick to make sure it is plugged in all the way before you waste a bunch of time with the other. Never know! Might be that simple.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.