Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion HPE h9-1179d
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am planning to replace my GT 545 with a GTX 1650 because my monitor would often lose signal when the card overheats especially while gaming. I have asked this question many times on Reddit and they told me yeah it would work but since I'm buying today I just wanna make sure if it really works especially when I found out that someone with about the same motherboard have compatibility issues with their new GTX 1080.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.60Ghz

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 545 3GB (Will be replaced by GTX 1650)

PSU: DPS-600WB A (600 Watts)

RAM: 12GB (Will be replaced by 16GB)

Motherboard: Pegatron 2ACE Pittsburgh2 (Legacy Bios)

If it does not work, are there any legacy bios gpus which are suitable for gaming? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

It may be possible to replace the motherboard (MB). MB makers such as Asus (Link) or Gigabyte were making socket 2011 UEFI BIOS motherboards. The Asus Deluxe MB per the above link has a UEFI BIOS. The 1650 should initialize on this MB.

You would probably have to buy a used MB. You would probably have to buy a new Windows product key.

The HP case may have proprietary front panel connectors. You might have to buy a new case.

It is possible but may not be cost effective to replace the MB.

Buying a current Gen Intel or AMD MB will require a new CPU and new memory modules.

Regards

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

A legacy BIOS is not compatible with any Nvidia graphics card subsequent to a 600 series Nvidia graphics card.

Regards

HP Recommended

Ok so which 600 nvidia card should i buy for gaming? And also how do people’s pc work with new gpu on old motherboard? I have seen some of them work without problems.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Higher end Nvidia cards ( 660 or a 670) will improve gaming. The 600 series graphics cards are gone. You have to look for a used card on eBay or elsewhere.

Look, A new PC will greatly improve gaming.

You have to look at your PC's power supply.

Some 600 series graphics cards require six or eight pin connections from the power supply to power the card. 

I would suggest you look at the forums where other folks got UEFI graphics cards working on a legacy BIOS PC.

Regard

HP Recommended

Actually is it okay if I replace the motherboard with a new one that supports UEFI?

HP Recommended

Hi,

It may be possible to replace the motherboard (MB). MB makers such as Asus (Link) or Gigabyte were making socket 2011 UEFI BIOS motherboards. The Asus Deluxe MB per the above link has a UEFI BIOS. The 1650 should initialize on this MB.

You would probably have to buy a used MB. You would probably have to buy a new Windows product key.

The HP case may have proprietary front panel connectors. You might have to buy a new case.

It is possible but may not be cost effective to replace the MB.

Buying a current Gen Intel or AMD MB will require a new CPU and new memory modules.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi would this motherboard work?:https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme4-M/index.asp

It is from ASRock. It has LGA2011 socket, DDR3, UEFI ( Well it did said that in the specs), PCI-E 3.0 (for the gpu) and about the same size as my pegatron one. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi,

It may work in the HP case. It is a UEFI BIOS capable, socket 2011, micro ATX motherboard. The Nvidia graphics card will work.

Make sure the HP chassis standoffs match this motherboard's mounting points.

Make sure you can connect the HP chassis front panel power switch and LEDs to this system board. If not you will have to buy a new case.

Regards

HP Recommended

Okay so if motherboard doesn't work would a GTX 660 work with my PC? Checking just in case

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, a 660 would work if it fits in the case (dual slot card about 9.5 inches in length) and you have a 450 watt PSU with a six plus two pin supplemental power cable.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.