Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion P6520F
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since an involuntary middle-of-the-night upgrade to Windows 10 occurred, can't stop random reboots every 20-45 minutes.  I give up.  I know there is an opportunity (allegedly) to downgrade back to Windows 7 within the first 30 days, but wanted to make sure there are no quirks about doing so with my rather old machine.  I DO find Windows.old both on my hard drive and my external drive.

Anybody done this on a Pavilion P6520F or equivalent, and any tips?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @marionhouse,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! The forums are a great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I read your post about the upgrade issue, and wanted to assist you!  I understand that the desktop reboots every 20-45 minutes, and you are looking to downgrade back to the Windows 7 Operating System.

If you decide to stick with Windows 10, you can try troubleshooting the reboot issue, by reviewing the following document:

HP PCs - The Computer Restarts Unexpectedly (Windows 7)

If you are still having trouble, then you should be able to use the Go back to an earlier build option, in your System Settings: HP Notebook PCs - Upgrading to Windows 10

As you said, this feature is only available for the first 28 days after installing Windows 10.  Once you are back to your original Operating System, check to see if you are experiencing the same issue.  

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @marionhouse,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! The forums are a great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I read your post about the upgrade issue, and wanted to assist you!  I understand that the desktop reboots every 20-45 minutes, and you are looking to downgrade back to the Windows 7 Operating System.

If you decide to stick with Windows 10, you can try troubleshooting the reboot issue, by reviewing the following document:

HP PCs - The Computer Restarts Unexpectedly (Windows 7)

If you are still having trouble, then you should be able to use the Go back to an earlier build option, in your System Settings: HP Notebook PCs - Upgrading to Windows 10

As you said, this feature is only available for the first 28 days after installing Windows 10.  Once you are back to your original Operating System, check to see if you are experiencing the same issue.  

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Can't say it was painless, as I had to reload 2 device drivers and 2 lengthy software items, but now that we're back on Win 7, we've been running for over 6 hours with no restarts!  THANK YOU!

Now is there any way to prevent getting trapped by malware and winding up on Win 10 again without any action....or is there a way to remove the menacing "upgrade" button from my task bar?

HP Recommended

Hi:

See this link for info on how to prevent W7 from being upgraded to W10...

http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-to-stop-windows-7-or-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically...

HP Recommended

I downloaded and installed Never 10, but the pesky upgrade button is still on my task bar.

HP Recommended

Found instructions on another web site and got rid of the "get windows 10" icon as well.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.