Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Yes I meant v02.99 (v02.99 REV: A PASS: 1  SP73099.exe). Mistyped. oops. Nice catch though!

BTW, I have re read the release notes for 2.99 and now see it has windows 10 listed in supported OS's. In fact 2.99 and on look like they support win 10.

And..... It looks loike 2.99 has UEFI listed as an enhancement. So hopefullly this does give me this GPU support I am looking for!

With v02.99 supporting windows 10, what is the safest/best way to update the BIOS?  From within Windows as per instructions in release notes or would you still suggest from the Bios update option within the Bios following the steps you have provided? Which ever you think is better I will do.:smileyvery-happy:

Thanks Again

HP Recommended

I would do it my way, but since the file is supported for W10, you can download and run it instead of using the free unzipping tool I posted.

An information page will open, and you should follow the instructions under the F10 BIOS flashing method.

Then you click on the 'View Contents of DOS Flash folder, and the folder will open, and you copy the files to your FAT 32-formatted flash drive.

Again, that is the easiest and safest way to update the BIOS.

The Windows based flash carries risks, unless you update the BIOS in safe mode, which in W10 is harder to get into than in the old days of W7 and before.

Windows has too many running processes, and if you don't shut down your antivirus program...depending on what A/V program you use, some of them will actually interrupt the windows based flash process thinking a virus is attacking the BIOS.

Well, if that happens, it would be the equivalent of yanking out the plug during a BIOS update, which as you can quite imagine is not good.

But that is up to you.

HP Recommended
Hi Paul,

Thanks again! I am not one to question someone who knows more. Well.....maybe sometimes. Lol. But not now. I will do exactly as you suggest. I even went to the point of doing a long fat 32 format of my flash drive (not quickformat) to make sure it's completely blank. Sometimes any little detail can make the difference. Thanks again for your time and advice. I should be able to try it on Friday and hopefully be posting positive results LOL.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You should be fine.

The only question I have is:  Should you bring it to v.03.04 or bring it to v03.03, or v03.02?

As I wrote earlier, on the 8200 Elite, the last revision v2.29 caused that 2 minute restart delay in W10, but v2.28 is fine.

This is what v2.29 did for the 8200 Elite...

- Fixed BiosConfigUtility in setting Legacy and UEFI Boot Sources.
- Fixed BiosConfigUtility Enable/Disable of discrete devices, which were being re-enabled on next boot.
- Implemented Roll Back prevention.
- Added improved Security Updates.

This is what v3.04 did for the 8300 Elite...

- Added Security Update.

I have a feeling that security update on both platforms had some kind of effect on the TPM device in W10.

So, maybe you would want to update to v3.02 or v3.03, and see what the results are regarding the delayed restart.

v3.03 was pretty much a 'no big deal' revision...

- Fixed F10 "BIOS Power On" issue where TIME was not getting saved unless cursor (focus) remained on TIME setting in F10 menu.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I think we are on the same page there! If I have any chance of getting the desired support for eufi gpu's it's with v02.99. I see no benefit in any further updates and share your caution. You never really know what could go wrong, until it does. I'm not much of a gambler so I'm not inclined to roll the dice too many times.

So unless I have some serious issues, it's v02.99 of bust! (gambling pun intended)

Does this sound sensible?

HP Recommended

Yes, I agree with that approach.

If the card works on v02.99, no need to go further.

If not, take it to v03.02 or v03.03

HP Recommended
Success!

Let me stop to say thank you again. I couldn't have asked for better assistance! Your a credit to these forums!😊 Even if something had happened and I would have bricked it, I would still have been impressed with the support you provided! I hope "HP" reads this.

As for the update. It went seamlessly! Greatdirections=great results! No issues so far and now have the UEFI GPU support I was hoping for.

Thanks again Pau_Tikkanen!
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

your Answer is very helpful and solved my questions about my video card.

Actually I recently update my HP elite 8300 sff to bios v3.04

now my video card (nvidia gt430) is not working. it was working with v2.99

is there any solution for this problem?

can I Downgrade to v2.99 again?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

i know this is a bit late in coming from the original posts but anyone can go to the hp driver site and choose the windows 7 as their operating system even if they are running windows 10 and load the bios from that download and it will work. scroll down once you open the download to the HPQFlash link and it will run in the windows operating system you have, even win 10, and do the download just like loading any program.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.