Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p2-1121l Desktop P
Microsoft Windows XP

I need help to install windows xp on my HP Pavilion p2-1121l Desktop PC , it always fail with Blue screen

when first preparation stage of installation is finished , any step by step how to do ?

thanks much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @kairo:

You are correct.  That model will run XP, but you have to install the required storage controller drivers using one of two methods.

Method 1, requires a USB FDD, and floppy disk, and near the beginning of the XP installation script when it asks you to press the F6 key to install the SATA/RAID drivers, you press the F6 key.  You cannot use a USB flash drive for this process.  I even renamed the drive letter of my USB flash drive to A:\ and it still didn't work. 

Windows continues to load and then stops and asks you to press the 's' key to install the sata driver.  Press the 's' key and you will see the XP 32 bit drivers listed that I have zipped up and attached below, on your USB FDD.

Copy just the file contents of the unzipped folder to the floppy disk, not the whole folder.

Now with the above method, you have to know exactly which sata driver to select, and that is based on whether the BIOS drive controller setting is set to RAID or AHCI.

If set to AHCI, use the up/down arrow keys to scroll to and select the Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller from the list.

If it is set to RAID, then select the Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller from the list.

Method 2.  Slipstream the drivers. Read the pdf document I attached below for how to do that. You would use the same drivers I attached.

You will have to extract them to their driver folder, and slipstream the entire folder.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Since WinXP is an old OS, it might be that this newer PC is not compatible with the software.  In looking at the hardware on the SUPPORT PAGE for that model, it does not seem to be of conventional hardware setups.

If you can run the FREEDOS that was the OS from the factory, then probably the hardware is OK.  I would try to install Windows 7, at least as a test. But it might be Windows 7 will not like it either.  You can do that for 30 days, I think.  This newer hardware might not be compatible with WinXP.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Realy thank's for your rapid reply  Dean!

at my work, we have some numbers of the same model of this HP PC, and it was since the beginin instaled with windows xp pro, now two years ago ... , and that's why i decide to have the same model at home, to keep working at home,

and the reason of the need of windows xp, is the one soft we work with and was designed many years ago, and work well on windows xp only!

the IT men how does this installation of windows xp in this model is now retired, five month ago, and no one know how to do it now !

the conventional methode dn't work, but ther is one ho can sucsseed, i'm sur !

HP Recommended

Hi, @kairo:

You are correct.  That model will run XP, but you have to install the required storage controller drivers using one of two methods.

Method 1, requires a USB FDD, and floppy disk, and near the beginning of the XP installation script when it asks you to press the F6 key to install the SATA/RAID drivers, you press the F6 key.  You cannot use a USB flash drive for this process.  I even renamed the drive letter of my USB flash drive to A:\ and it still didn't work. 

Windows continues to load and then stops and asks you to press the 's' key to install the sata driver.  Press the 's' key and you will see the XP 32 bit drivers listed that I have zipped up and attached below, on your USB FDD.

Copy just the file contents of the unzipped folder to the floppy disk, not the whole folder.

Now with the above method, you have to know exactly which sata driver to select, and that is based on whether the BIOS drive controller setting is set to RAID or AHCI.

If set to AHCI, use the up/down arrow keys to scroll to and select the Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller from the list.

If it is set to RAID, then select the Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller from the list.

Method 2.  Slipstream the drivers. Read the pdf document I attached below for how to do that. You would use the same drivers I attached.

You will have to extract them to their driver folder, and slipstream the entire folder.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.