Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq DC5100 SFF (PM215AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi, i have recently upgraded my os to windows 10 32 bits. After upgraded successfully, the devise manager display adaptor became microsoft basic display adaptor. The display setting is limited and unacceptable. Is there any display driver which is compatible to my HP Compaq DC5100 SFF (PM215AV) ? Your early reply would be deeply appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, of course the dc5700 graphics works.

The Intel Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family is supported under W10 as well as the older 945 (intel GMA 950).

The GMA 900 and older graphics are not.

And the problem is your PC does not have a PCIe x16 slot to install a video card that would work with W10.

SFF has nothing to do with what works. SFF stands for small form factor (the physical size of the PC, not the hardware it comes with).

The d510 and d530 SFF can't run W10, yours can't, and anything newer than yours can (dc7600 SFF, dc5700 SFF, dc7700 SFF, dc5800 SFF, dc7800 SFF dc7900 SFF, 8000 Elite SFF, 8100 Elite SFF and on and on...).

The processor, chipset and graphics determine what can and can't run W10.

I would just get a newer PC, or install W7 on yours.

The graphics will work using the above approach I posted in W7.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

To the best of my knowledge, there is no graphics driver that will work for W10.

The method I am going to give you below works for W7 and W8, but I don't think it works for 8.1 and W10.

Anyway give it a try...

Download and run the Vista graphics driver.  Close out of any error windows.

This package contains the Intel 915G Graphics Driver for the listed models running a listed Microsoft Windows Vista Operating System.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp34501-35000/sp34749.exe

Go to the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category.

Click on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter listed there.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and then at the bottom of that window, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Click on Have Disk, and browse to:  C:\SWSetup\sp34749\Graphics\igxp32 (setup information file), and see if the driver will install.

I don't think it will unfortunately.

HP Recommended

Hi, i downloaded the sp34749 driver & tried to install but unsuccessful with an error "The operating system is not supported. Setup will exit". What is the original display driver for my HP Compaq 5100 DC sff (pm215av) ?Where can i download it for a trial ?

HP Recommended

Yes, that is the error you should get.

Now follow the rest of my directions to try and force install the driver.

HP Recommended

@kclimkc 

I went through a similar process trying to get my old Fuitsu tablet to work in Win10 -- since it has the same chipset.

The bottom line is that, as @Paul_Tikkanen  indicated, there are no drivers that will work with that chipset in Win10, or even in Win8.  Why? Because Microsoft removed the code from the Windows kernel starting in Win8 that is vital to any 915GM driver working.

There is NOTHING that will work -- believe me as I spent several months running down every lead I could find to TRY to get 915GM drivers to work in Win10 or Win8.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi Sir, it seems like they are no other solution to fix the display problem. But my friend who has upgraded his HP Compaq DC5700 SFF from windows 7 to windows 10 has no such issue. His display adaptors  now show it is running Intel(R) Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1), and not the Miscrosoft Basic Display. I was under the impression that both pc are HP Compaq SFF which should run the same display. Please advise me. Thanks

HP Recommended

Yes, of course the dc5700 graphics works.

The Intel Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family is supported under W10 as well as the older 945 (intel GMA 950).

The GMA 900 and older graphics are not.

And the problem is your PC does not have a PCIe x16 slot to install a video card that would work with W10.

SFF has nothing to do with what works. SFF stands for small form factor (the physical size of the PC, not the hardware it comes with).

The d510 and d530 SFF can't run W10, yours can't, and anything newer than yours can (dc7600 SFF, dc5700 SFF, dc7700 SFF, dc5800 SFF, dc7800 SFF dc7900 SFF, 8000 Elite SFF, 8100 Elite SFF and on and on...).

The processor, chipset and graphics determine what can and can't run W10.

I would just get a newer PC, or install W7 on yours.

The graphics will work using the above approach I posted in W7.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.