Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

my computer will not get past the start up blue screen

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

Hi amielu,

What model of PC do you have?

What operating system?

Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue occuring (changes such as installing new software or adding new hardware)?

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion
Windows 7
I did nothing, my son was using it walked away and when I got home the blue screen was there and it wont respond
HP Recommended

Do you know what specific Pavilion model number it is (such as a1310y)?

Do you know what your son was doing on the PC before he left it?

Have you tried shutting it down and then turning it back on? You can force the PC to shut down by pressing and holding down the power button for about 5 seconds.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended
p6310f is the model number

he printed a paper and then that was it...he said

yes - I did the and now it says

reboot and select proper boot devices
or insert boot media in a selected boot device and press a key
HP Recommended

Hmmm...it sounds like something is going on with the hard drive. You'll need to see if your PC is recognizing the hard drive and if not, you may want to open the PC and unplug then replug in the cables to the hard drive.

Try the steps in this HP support document on troubleshooting startup issues:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05336130 (Link Updated 04/26/2017)

Let us know how it goes.

HP Recommended
the f10 or any f keys wont work
HP Recommended

Does the computer get to the blue HP logo screen? Make sure you press f10 multiple times as soon as you start the PC and see that logo screen.

HP Recommended
yes I did do that

It does nothing except sometimes it goes to the error screen saying reboot and select proper bood device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key
HP Recommended
I finally got it to do it the f10 finally worked

I see in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th drive it says none

if I follow the instructions and reset the bois - it says load set up defaults - if I do that will I loose anything on my hard drive?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.