Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 590-p0044
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

received message stating BIOS needed updating, followed the process. now system won't boot, tried all recovery options and looks like the BIOS update didn't complete, when I try to perform BIOS recovery I get a message that the system can't find Build information. I'm pretty sure I need recovery media to restore this system. ALL assistance is welcome. Thanking you in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only recovery media that would be available would restore the operating system, not the BIOS.

You can use the HP cloud recovery tool to reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your PC on the new SSD.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10) | HP® Customer Support

Did you try making a bootable USB BIOS recovery drive from the BIOS file on your PC's support page?

HP Pavilion 590-p0044 Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

These are the options you get when you run the file on another PC like I just did...

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1642799810180.png

HP Recommended

Paul,

Thank you for your timely reply, Please allow me to explain the situation. My Stepson owns the computer, He's the one who followed the message about the BIOS update being needed. He's NOT very computer savy so he brought it to me. When I statred the computer it tried to start and was continuously rebooting without ever actually starting, I tried to default the BIOS from within BIOS using the set to default option, that didn't do anything. Next tried to recover windows from the revoder option, that didn't work. Finally I thought I'd try to run a 'Live" version of Linux from a USB drive, it would'nt launch but iot did detect the USB drive. I'm suspecting the BIOS Update didn't complete or got corrupted. That all said, I'll download the software you suggested, My concern is that since the system won't boot into windows I don't know how the "cloud Bios" can work. I'm grateful for ALL assistance. I've been building windows PCs for some time and Linux systems not quite as long, BUT I'm not by any means a GURU, and may not completely follow the reasoning for the steps sugested, But I will do whats suggested as the box ix basically a boat anchor now. Thanks again, Bill

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You would have to run that BIOS update file on another Windows PC like I did.

Then you select the bootable USB BIOS recovery USB drive option to create a bootable BIOS recovery USB drive, and you would boot from that on the non-working PC to see if you could recover the BIOS that way.

You won't need to be in Windows.

As long as you can boot from a USB drive on the PC, hopefully it will repair the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Paul, to be clear, 1) download the BIOS file, 2) create bootable USB drive and copy the BIOS file, 3) try to boot PC from USB drive.

is there a particular USB boot maker to use? or does the BIOS file create the bootable partition and copy the file? Thanks again.

Bill

HP Recommended

Hi, Bill:

When you run the file, it should create the bootable USB BIOS recovery drive automatically, and you can boot from the flash drive without any additional software. 

Then plug the flash drive into the PC, turn it on and press the Esc key to get the menu of options. 

Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that,select the USB flash drive and press the Enter key.

Hopefully, the PC will boot from the flash drive and you will be able to recover the BIOS. 

HP Recommended

Paul, thhanks, I'll give it a try. If this doesn't work what are my options?

Bill

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

Unfortunately, that I wouldn't know.

HP Recommended

paul, i made the BIOS image, (Theoretically) created a bootable USB drive, copied the BIOS onto the drive, but the system won't allow me to select the thumb drive to boot from. Frankly EVERY HP I've ever touched has been absulute HELL to work on. Which is why I avoid them like the plague, but this is a family member so I'm trying. take me through the process like i'm an idiot, i may have missed something along the way. what i really don't get is on boot, when you use the F9 keu to do a boot selection, why the system doesn't "see" the usb drive, it;'s just not in the list. further, when you go into the BIOS setup and into the boot order, if you select USB HD, it doesn't appear in the boot selection in F9, nor upon bootup. I'm getting ready to scrap the MB and reuse all the other hardware with a new mobo.

HP Recommended

Sorry, that you are unable to boot from the USB flash drive.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions for you to try.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.