Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I'm going to buy another computer. does HP have an app/program to help me transfer files/programs from existing computer to new one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@josephw2 

NO, it does not.

The best two apps out there are Easus ToDo PC Transfer and Laplink PC Mover.  Both cost money -- the free versions do not move apps, only personal data.  I have used both and prefer the first over the second.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@josephw2 

NO, it does not.

The best two apps out there are Easus ToDo PC Transfer and Laplink PC Mover.  Both cost money -- the free versions do not move apps, only personal data.  I have used both and prefer the first over the second.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

If the disk-drive in your current computer is still working, physically remove it from the computer.

Connect it as a "secondary" disk-drive in the new computer, perhaps as the "F:" drive-letter.

Then, you can copy all your files from one folder in the "F:\users" folder into the "Documents" folder on the new disk-drive.

Any "free" programs, such as iTunes and Adobe Reader can be downloaded and installed on the new computer. 

What other programs do you want to re-install onto the new computer?

Now that Microsoft has announced Windows 11, be sure to purchase a computer that is advertised as "ready for Windows 11".  It will come with Windows 10 installed. You could run Windows 10 until Spring 2025, or you will be able to take the free upgrade to Windows 11 sometime in 2022, if you want to be "on the bleeding edge".

HP Recommended

The new computer is just a tower (no monitor) I have a cat6 cable to connect the old and new machines.  When I download Easus ToDo PC Pro to the old machine can I also download it the new machine through the cat6 cable or do I have to hook the internet to the new machine and download it separate. old & new computers are both HP

HP Recommended

You need a "cross-over" Ethernet cable. It connects the "send" wire on one computer to the "receive" wire on the other computer, if you try to connect one computer directly to the other.

Or, connect both computers to your router (or cable-modem) so that they are "peers", with the router actign as the "gateway" between the two computers.

You probably will need software on BOTH computers to achieve a "chat" between the two.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.