Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Any HP desktop running on AMD processor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Instead of writing and reading all those long,  all  almost  the  same  and  boring  elaborate ”scientific” advices of well educated geeks – try this simple trick instead: Just turn off your machine and remove the memory stick from second bank (bank “1”)! If you have for instance 2x4GB installed in 64 bit system – remove 4GB stick from bank farther from processor socket and plug 8GB stick of good brand memory instead! This trick works with most good brands except of Super Talent (my personal experience  indicates  that  Micron, Kingston  and  Corsair  work  well)!
Now turn  on  your system and  it  should  show 8 GB installed and 7.60 or so being usable!
I can not scientifically explain this "miracle" – but it happens most of the time!

And  "miraculously"  the  problem  is  somehow  solved!
Good luck, good day and good all the rest of your life!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

the old and super common classic question. 😝

I will answer for Intel not AMD, and this is not true for all AMD nor ALL Intel , it is only mostly true on OLD CPU or any older, MMC (memory managment controller)  the word ANY is wrong sorry. 😳

is this a question or  posted TIP.? IDK.

all this is covered at Intel.com,  in the CPU data sheets,

it tells you how memory mapping works and even  how  cheap iGPU or lame GPU chips steal, DDR ram to use it as VRAM

and now newer processors, this is reduced    that theft.  we are well beyond this guy below.

Von Neumann Architecture

The PC BIOS also plays in to the mess, allowing you or not to mix DDR, sizes and speeds and densities.

Intel.com told you not to mix up SKU, even in the same data sheets.  SKU is exact make and model of stick.

it goes on to saying doing so,  invites now or soon to have system instabilities.. 

learn that if using your own GPU card, that the best cards will in fact not use any DDR at all, buy them and try it.

and after doing that ,  get 8GB.

or upgrade the BIOS

or upgrade the CPU, even CPS  steeping versions. different, and omg bugs. there.

the newer MMC in all newer CPU are vastly smarter and better, for sure this topic.

this is logic not variable science. pure raw logic. (gates and bios Firmware) 

that is correct buying Corsair CERTIFIED memory works  in the PC  because was tested in that exact same PC< and in sets

not ever mixed with others as Intel told you not to do..

all facts. told me. (what one can do by pure luck , is never known  but sure luck happens,)😀

I have  GTX1650 card,  and on any PC uses no DDR ram at all, but I went into BIOS and shut down the iGPU.

on some PCs with xeons, there is no IGPU and not IGPU thieft of DDR at all

and all this matters for sure what CPU you are talking about AMD or Intel and for sure the MMC in play and BIOS.

We all know IGPUs have no Vram bank  and the lack of which must steal (abscond with) DDR.

there is no way to be vague here, ever.  NO PC told. AMD x4  ? LoL. I have one running w10-64bit.

I added Phenom II X4 (newest in the AM2+ line) all work but only F2/F3 stepping up in all cases

is this Any?

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

igpu do not share ram.

it steals. it. (geeks say , dedicated permanent allocation) read the data sheet on CPU and igpu workings..

if they IGPU uses this ram bank is that UnUsable , no

it is not shared.

and if mixing DDR types up this can cause CHAOS.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

Hello
I just have one, or two small doubts in what you are offering ..
Firstly it forces the user to buy back a memory module, whereas there may be a solution, but for that ok ...
What puzzles me, I'm not very good at math, but you say:
If you have for instance 2x4GB installed in 64 bit system - remove 4GB ..
So there remains, 4GB, 2x4 = 8, 8-4 = 4 ...
plug 8GB stick of good brand memory instead

8 + 4 = 12
Now turn on your system and it should show 8 GB installed and 7.60 or so being usable!
For me problem not solved, because you only have 8 GB instead of 12 ..
Or finally, do you withdraw 2 * 4gb, which you have already paid, to buy 8 others instead?
I have a little trouble understanding this reasoning, but hey why not, if we have the means

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I do not care about a bit of chaos generated here and there! World is much "too well organized" by its self proclaimed owners and saviors! Everything I care is to have well working system with so much usable memory I can squeeze of it!
This is my philosophy! Recently I was forced to obtain another rig and to play with - because my Athlon based single core 1.3 GHz HP machine with perfectly legal installation of Win 10 suddenly deactivated Windows and slowed down to snail speed! So I have got another rig - also HP and AMD - but this time 4-core and 2.2 GHz with fresh installation of Win 10! I have installed 4+4 = 8 GB of RAM and got result 8 installed 3.99 usable! Added GeForce Nvidia GTX 750Ti to prevent any excuses that my RAM will be stolen - but result was the same - 8/3.99 GB! At this point I was determined to solve the problem with ANY method or trick and at ANY cost! This was it! I do not care - if 4+8=12 or 17! I do not care about theories and sciences, about math or logic! I do care only about my system and the way it should work! Noe it works and shows 8 GB usable memory! That was my task and I did not care, if I had to install 27 or 37 Gig of RAM! This is my way and my point! My problem was solved! I do not know about yours! Have a good day and good fast system of your dreams! Take it easy! Good luck!

HP Recommended

Dear  Promethee!  Bring  back  the  fire  stolen  by  self  proclaimed  owners  and  saviors  of  the  Universe!  Bring  a  bit  of  fantasy  and  free  imagination!  Invent  square  wheel  and  white  black  powder!  Do  anything  to  make  your  life  easier!

Be  happy  and  don't  worry  too  much  about  math  or  logic!  I do not care about a bit of chaos generated here and there! World is much "too well organized" by its owners and saviors! Everything I care is to have well working system with so much usable memory I can squeeze of it!
This is my philosophy! Recently I was forced to obtain another rig and to play with - because my HP machine with perfectly legal installation of Win 10 suddenly deactivated Windows and slowed down to snail speed! So I've got another rig - also HP and AMD - but this time 4-core and 2.2 GHz with fresh installation of Win 10! I have plugged  two  sticks  4+4 = 8 GB of RAM and got commonly  known  result 8 installed 3.99 usable! Added GeForce Nvidia GTX 750Ti to prevent any excuses that my RAM will be stolen - but result was the same! At this point I was keen  only to solve the problem with ANY method or trick and at ANY cost!  So  I  put  4+8GB!   This was it!   I do not care - if 4+8=12 or 17! I do not care about theory and science, about math or logic!  I do care only about my system and the way it should work! Now it works and shows 8 GB usable memory! That was my  the  only  task and I did not care, if I had to install 27 or 37 Gig of RAM  to  accomplish  it! This is my way of  life  and  doing  and my point! My problem was solved! I do not know about yours! Have a good day and good fast system of your dreams! Take it easy! Good luck! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.