Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
6005 sff
Microsoft Windows XP

I have a need to use win xp 64 pro..will that os work on my hp 6005 sff or 8300 elite sff..thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, XP x64 would work on either model.

Make sure you know how to either slipstream the storage controller drivers or have a USB floppy disk drive to add the drivers using the F6 prompt at the beginning of the installation.

If you don't want to be bothered, you can change the BIOS setting from AHCI to IDE and install XP without the need to load storage drivers, but bear in mind, the drive performance will suffer considerably.

The 8300 Elite has USB 3 ports, so those won't work on XP.  I think there is a setting in the BIOS to make them emulate USB 2.

The 8300 Elite was the last HP Intel business desktop that had support for XP.

HP Recommended

Thanks   I need to use  Roxio 7 to do audio editing..that;s the only use I would have other than downloading audio files to be editied ...would the second option you mentioned suffice for those procedures  ??

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If all you are going to do with the PC is one task, the IDE BIOS setting should work good enough.

If you find the performance too slow, then you will probably want to install XP in AHCI mode and there are guides on the internet for how to slipstream the storage controller drivers.

I ran XP Pro x64 on my HP 8200 Elite CMT and it worked great.  I used a FDD to install the SATA AHCI drivers.

At work we used to have the older HP dc7800 PC's with XP 32 bit installed in IDE Mode and I didn't find them unbearable to use.

In AHCI mode the drive can find data faster...see this article...

Native Command Queuing - Wikipedia

HP Recommended

Thanks again..I have a spare 6005 here in my studio...

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.