Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ProDesk 400 G6 Mini PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear Sirs and madams, (the F11 key on some HP keyboards was "defective"(?). This is also the solution. Sorry.)

Means as soon as you turned on the PC, it automatically "pressed" F11....randomly, becasue sometimes the following issue did not occur.

======================================================

I have 30x ProDesk 400 G6 Mini PCs here with the latest BIOS.

I disabled TPM, Secureboot (incl. MS key thing) and FastBoot and set an admin password before.

I even set the owners Tag as I found in another post about this drama.

It seems to be impossible to to Enter a real legacy mode on a ProDesk 400 G6, as the menu simply wont show up !?

Its usually a menu below Secure Boot, in other similar HP BIOS Systems.

I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on the included M.2 SSD vis USB. It would only let me install the UEFI way.

I tried Rufus UEFI (no CSM) as well and I tried UEFI activated in BIOS.

Yes I typed the 4 digit numbers for secure boot and tpm, aware of the NumLock thing.

Yes I pressed F10 in BIOS to save each setting seperately and reboot.

Yet all ProDesks always keep starting with "Entering Factory Recovery..." .

I always have to hammer F9 (bootmenu) to be able to boot into my installed Windows system.

Selecting "M.2 SSD: Windows boot Manager" .

If I set M.2 SSD 1 : Windows Boot Manager in BIOS as 1st boot device (which it is) I get the:

"Entering Factory Recovery..." message again. On all ProDesks I have here. Only F9 works.

Pressing F9 (Boot Menu) and selecting "M.2 SSD: Windows boot Manager" will boot into the OS just fine.

Until I reboot or turn it off.

I read that disabling Secure Boot will automatically enable Legacy mode on some devices, but I also found many other dissapointed users with this issue on other HP products. I read a BIOS fallback might help on other devices.

This leads me to 2 questions now:

1.)

How can I truly boot into legacy mode on a ProDesk 400 G6 Mini PC ? How to enable it, making it become visible ?

2.)

Why is it that this "Entering Factory Recovery..."  message keeps showing up and how would I be ablke to circumvent it, to avoid having to press F9 every time ?

The scary thing is, at least sometimes some of them do reboot into Windows after a restart...this is very, very frustrating and after 2 days I gave up searching for solutions...because there arent any on google (for this device)

Please tell me what is going on here, because the customer would like to understand this drama as well.

Regards,

David

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

One question remains though.

How to enter a real legacy mode ? I can still only boot into UEFI mode.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Shiskaboss 

Newer OEM PCs simply do not have Legacy mode anymore -- since this is in keeping with Microsoft's insistence that Windows 11 be installed only on UEFI PCs with Secure Boot enabled -- something you can't do on Legacy BIOS PCs.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Ok I understand and Im aware lenovo announced the death of legacy boot in 2017 already.

I wasnt aware HP is already at this stage in 2021.

So, disabling :

-Secure Boot

-CSM

-FastBoot

-TPM

-MS key etc. etc. etc.

usually lead to an enabled Legacy boot in the latest HP BIOS systems in 2020. (400 G5 for example)

So HP started it already 1 generation later and I missed it.

When will HP "enforce" TPM, CSM, SecureBoot and FastBoot as well ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.