Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
1000N8601020-B

How do I find the password for a Compaq presario PC SR5710Y, that was given to me by someone who does not remember his password.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you are looking for the Windows password, unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with that.

If you are looking for the power on (BIOS) password, then see the link below, last item (Clearing the BIOS settings) and within that section, read the Clearing the BIOS Password settings.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Compaq-Presario-SR5700-Desktop-PC-series/3823953/model/3867472/d...

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you are looking for the Windows password, unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with that.

If you are looking for the power on (BIOS) password, then see the link below, last item (Clearing the BIOS settings) and within that section, read the Clearing the BIOS Password settings.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Compaq-Presario-SR5700-Desktop-PC-series/3823953/model/3867472/d...

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure whether I need a Windows or Bios password. As soon as the Compaq Presarion is turned, I can use the cursor. But that is all. I am requireded to type in a password. That is probably what you refer to as being the Windows password? Online I found different items to by to reset the password. I am not sure whether those are legitimate. Are they?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It sounds to me like you need the BIOS password if that is as far as you can get.  It is asking for a power on (BIOS) password.

So, follow the instructions on the link I posted, and you should be good to go.

HP Recommended

Everything went smoothly. Then I dropped and lost the little jumper. Are those little jumpers still available? Are they attached from the top or from the side?

Thank you again.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Unless you plan on putting another BIOS password on the PC, you probably don't need the jumper.

You can't buy them from HP but you can get them online from PC parts stores.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-12497?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=bing&scid...

What I would do if I were you would be to visit your local PC repair shop in town and see if they will give you one.

They may have many of them salvaged from bad motherboards.

HP Recommended

After following your advice the jumper is now on pins 2-3. The following screen shows up: Phoenix award BIOS CMOS setup utility, asking for to save configuration and exit now Yes or no, with Yes being highlighted. After clicking on ENTER, something happens that brings me back to the same screen Phoenix ward BIOS. Am I doing something wrong? Appreciate your suggestions.

HP Recommended

Hi:

You now have to move the jumper back to pins 1-2 per the instructions.

Remember to unplug the PC after shutting it off.

HP Recommended

Thanks, however I am still with your instructions, nr. 5, Hold down the F10 key during the startup process and enter BIOS setup to change or clear the password. While doing so the following screen shows up: Phoenix ward BIOS CMOS setup utility, giving an option to click on YES. After that I get the same screen again. I do not get the option to change or clear the password.  ( Do I have to move the jumper back to 1 -2 before I can change the password? )

HP Recommended

You have to move the jumper back to pins 1-2 before setting a new password.

After that, once you go back into the BIOS, you have to go to the security menu to set a new password.

When you moved the jumper, started the PC, that automatically cleared the password that was on the PC.

Then you move the jumper back to 1-2 and you can either have no BIOS password, or you go into the security menu and create a new one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.