Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
lHP Pavilion All-in-One 24-xa0xxx My desktop ion 65XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HI all

Have purchased a HP monitor to sit side by side to my HP desk top computer,

Its on and shows a blank screen and initially mirrored the main screen to I assume I have set it up correctly.

However what I want to do is to drag and drop on this screen and continue on the main screen. It wont do this and I cant see what I have to do, Google not a lot of help.

Any hep here please?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@teddy2016 

IF it MIRRORS the main screen, then you can NOT use it as a separate screen.

You have to go into Display Settings and change the second screen so it EXTENDS the main screen, not MIRRORS it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, Thankyou for your email

I now work from the main screen, the additional screen is light blue.

How can I drag something over to this screen, for example as a reference, and continue on the main screen please

HP Recommended

@teddy2016 

Have you set your second screen to Extend mode as I suggested?

Open up Display Settings and look at the screens.  Click the Identity button.  Each screen will show a number. IF the order of the numbers on the screen does not match the images in the settings window, then drag one of the screens in that window to the other side.

Then, when you want to move something, just click with the mouse and drag it right or left onto the other screen.

HP Recommended

HI again

Many thanks or assistance.

Have tried all you suggested but no go

HP Recommended

@teddy2016 

Saying "no go" tells me nothing useful.

What are you seeing when you right-click on the screen and select Display settings?

HP Recommended

NO GO, sorry was not being dis respective to you and I thank you for your assistance. The solutions you offered are not working, this is not difficult to do, but I am having trouble either understanding or I dont know.  Which ever solution I press 1 or two, it always ends up on the new screen, but I still cant move stuff across. There is info on Google but sometimes ppl need it in simple stages as I can see its not major stuff here.

HP Recommended

@teddy2016 

From your description, it sounds like you have the screens in MIRROR mode, which will prevent you from using the second screen independently from the first.

See if this helps:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/21084-multiple-displays-change-settings-layout-windows-10-a.html

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.