Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
simplesave
Microsoft Windows XP

apologies

the choices wouldn't get me to an appropriate forum and the theads i read about problems with these drives didn't seem to show WHERE they were posted.

so i'm posting here.

simplesave opening splash screen won't stay on long enough to go to options, and there are (now) folders, and areas of the drive i cannot access such as the utilities.

i may have changed the permissions using it on another computer, but those areas, and files were accessable when i did that.

it is now, trying to copy some of those files onto another computer, that tose areas have become unaccessable, and i don't know why. i've gone from the drive connected to a compaq presario to connecting it to an old emachines, and back with no problems. i'm trying to use it with a dell optiplex 620 and only one of the directories will open, and it's not the important one !

compaq, and emachines run win xp home, while the dell runs xp pro.

error says "not accessible-access is denied"

any suggestions? thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@simplesave1-1, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you have issues with simplesave access denied on the hard drive.

Try the steps recommended below.

You need to be running an admin account to do this:

Start>My Computer Right Click on your external Drive > Properties > Security Click Advanced in the bottom right (Special Permissions) Click on the owner tab > Select your account from the list Place a check mark on "Replace owner on sub-containers & objects" Click OK

Also, try creating a new administrator account on your PC and connect the hard drive and check if the issue persists.

Refer this article to know more information about HP simple save software.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi! @simplesave1-1, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you have simple pass issues with your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned when you try to sign on using HP simplepass you are getting an error: not accessible-access is denied on your PC.

Go to "Tools" on the menu bar at the top

Select "Add Ons"

Go to "Plug-Ins"

Find HP SimplePass, then make sure the option "Always Activate" (far right side) is selected.

Step 1: Uninstall the Fingerprint reader software.
Click on Ask Me Anything box beside the Start button.
Type Device Manager and open device manager from the search results.
Under the Biometric category, right-click on anything which is listed and select Uninstall.
Step 2: Restart the PC.
Step 3: Please download the latest Fingerprint reader software from this link.
Step 4: Install the software and configure your fingerprint.

Install the latest printer fingerprint drivers from this link.

Also, refer this article to know more information about using HP simple pass on your PC.

If the issue still persists uninstall the fingerprint drivers from device manager and install the drivers using HP recovery manager and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to restore drivers using HP recovery manager.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

sorry if i wasn't clear.

the problem i'm having is with an hp simplesave 320 portable usb hard drive which was originally connected to, and installed on a compaq presario desktop computer running win xp home edition sp3.

when connecting it to a very old emachine desktop computer, also running win xp home edition sp3, everything worked fine, and i could access all the sub-directories on the drive.

i just tried to connect the hp simplesave 320 portable usb hard drive to a dell optiplex gx620 running win xp pro edition sp3, and there are now directories on the drive i cannot access, and i don't know why.

i tried the windows disk management software, but everything there indicated that all the permissions were allowing total acces to the hp simplesave 320 portable hard drive.

sadly, this is not the case.

windows disk management did indicate there are two partitions, one very small which seems to contain nothing, and a large partition containing all three of the subdirectories i created when i originally set up the drive on the compaq.

when plugged into the usb port of the dell, i have access to two of those subdirectories, but not the third, and largest, and most important subdirectory.

this problem is only involving desktop computers (the three i have), and not notebook computers, or laptop computers, or portable computers.

the problem does not involve any other opeerating systems other than win xp home edition sp3, and win xp professional edition, however in the future it would be preferable that the drive be totally accessable to any computer, and any operating system i plug it into.

thanks, and if there are any other details i should post, please let me know. tanks again.

HP Recommended

As you mentioned you have issues with simplesave access denied on the hard drive.

You need to be running an admin account to do this:

Start>My Computer Right Click on your external Drive > Properties > Security Click Advanced in the bottom right (Special Permissions) Click on the owner tab > Select your account from the list Place a check mark on "Replace owner on sub-containers & objects" Click OK

Also, try creating a new administrator account on your PC and connect the hard drive and check if the issue persists.

Refer this article to know more information about HP simple save software.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

this worked !

thanks mr. robot.

i figured i would have to reset the permissions in safe mode, but i wanted to see what the forum would come up with, just to be sure.

just to say, i am an experienced user.

i took my first two computer classes in 1971; standalone collators, card-readers, card verifiers, plugging jumper wires into large boards that looked like 1940's telephone switchboards.

and still i often need advice.

so, to all other users i offer these reminders--

when in doubt about changing your computer's hardware, or software settings

be very careful if you're not too experienced with resetting any of the computer's permissions in any of the "settings" applications, or in any of the advanced settings modes.

if you have any doubts, do your research, ask questions, and always back up your important files, and program installation files.

remember that if you must reload your operating system, you will lose all the information you have stored.

make sure you create restore points oftem, and especially after new, and sucessful program installations.

amke sure your firewall, and anti-virus programs are intstalled, running, and up-to-date. scan often if not set to scan automatically.

these are exactly the reasons i purchased this portable harddisk drive.

i also back up to compact disks, email storage locations (when allowed, and practical ), and print multiple hard copies of all my important documents, and documentation.

these i have saved in safe, waterproof, and fireproof, and frequently off-site locations.

mr. robot, whoever you may be, thanks again !

HP Recommended

I am happy to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

dear mr robot

well your advice enabled access to ALMOST all of my simplesave 320.

there in one, and only ONE directory it won't see.

if i reinstall the drive on the old compaq presario, the directory (sub-directory, folder, whatever), it is accessable. when i install the drive on the dell optiplex, it's gone.

as you advised previously, i have tried resetting every permission there is, including the child permissions, and these actions do not allow the directory to be seen, or accessed.

i attempted to recreate the directory with a fresh installation by putting the drive back onto the compaq presario, moved the sub-directory onto the c drive, and moved it back to the simplesave 320, and the dell STILL won't see it, and cannot find it. no evidence it was ever there as far as the optiplex is concerned.

this directory, and it's sub-directories (there are four within) remains the only one the dell won't see.

any ideas why?

thanks again

HP Recommended

Hi @simplesave1-1,

I read the post. I am glad that it worked. As @A4Apollo is out of office for the day, I am responding on his behalf. 

If you have any issues with your Hp products please reach out and we will always be there to assist you.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 😉

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks david.

i hope there's more on the current anomily.

i found two more directories where the sub-directories show, and are accessable on the compaq, but just do not appear when the drive is connected to the dell..

hope  someone has an answer for this.

thanks.

HP Recommended

@simplesave1-1

It looks like you were interacting with @DavidSMP, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I reviewed your concern and the entire conversation, did some research and here's what I recommend:

Did you perform similar steps to give permission from the dell computer?

If not, please do as the steps should be similar on the other brand as well, however, if the files are accessible on the Compaq and yet doesn't show up on the dell, I recommend you Contact Dell support for further assistance.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.