Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavillion 500-164
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

when I downloaded windows 10 everything was fine, 1 month before the anniversary update to windows 10 system Z showed up. After the anniversary update it went away. Today is Friday I noticed that system z is back, I have not had any updates or have I downloaded anything. Could this be a drive that is storing information on how I use the computer, and is it only on HP computers? It doesnt show up as a virus or a trojan, and it is 356mb with 301 mb free, using 55mb..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

From time to time, Microsoft may create a drive called Z: to keep information for the update/upgrade process. Drive Z: may appear then disappear. Microsoft should tell people about this or hide it as default.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

From time to time, Microsoft may create a drive called Z: to keep information for the update/upgrade process. Drive Z: may appear then disappear. Microsoft should tell people about this or hide it as default.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I had this Z Drive appear on my PC a few weeks ago and performed a system restore to get rid of it. It stayed away for a while until the next time  "HP Support Assistant" ran a system check for updates, etc, and as soon as it was finished, the  Z  drive reappeared. I got rid of it again but after every HP scan, it returns, so it is definately coming from that, though what it's for is anyone's guess.

HP Recommended

>  as soon as it was finished, the  Z  drive reappeared. I got rid of it again but after every HP scan, it returns, so it is definitely coming from that, though what it's for is anyone's guess.

I guess that the HP Support Assistant downloads one large file from HP's web-site,

and "borrows" some of the computer's RAM (356 MB),  and creates a "RAM-disk", and assigns 'Z:' to it.

The S.A. then "unpacks" that one file onto the 'Z:' drive, building files & folders on the RAM-disk.

Voila!  You now have a "system tools" (virtual) disk-drive, with the most-current version of the HP Tools.

After the diagnostic tools have completed, it _should_ "destroy" the RAM-disk, and give the 356MB back to Windows for "general" usage.

Run a 'CHKDSK Z:' from a command-line prompt -- it will probably run *VERY* *FAST*, because a RAM-disk is much faster than an ordinary "spinning" disk-drive.  Or, run a "custom" virus-scan, targeting the 'Z:' drive.  Again, it will run very quickly, if it is a RAM-disk.

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your help, i'll try what you suggested whenever the Z drive turns up again.

HP Recommended

> i'll try what you suggested whenever the Z drive turns up again.

Did you try it?  Anything to report?

HP Recommended

What I did do, was follow someone else's advice and it has worked every time System Z has appeared, which is whenever the HP Support Assistant has updated. Just type the following text into the search box, run the command, restart your computer and System Z will be gone..........       mountvol Z:\ /D (System Z delete) 

HP Recommended

I have had the same problem for a LONG time. My HP 7310xi printer is connected to my Windows 10 computer, through that modem, with an ethernet cable. When I connect to the internet , the printer lights up like a Christmas tree and stops responding. I was blaming it on the printer card reader but have had NO success in solving the problem.

I have the same printer connected through the same modem to my Windows 7 machiine with no problems.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.