cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
jasmyne_2016
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Solved!

system Z drive

HP Recommended
pavillion 500-164
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

when I downloaded windows 10 everything was fine, 1 month before the anniversary update to windows 10 system Z showed up. After the anniversary update it went away. Today is Friday I noticed that system z is back, I have not had any updates or have I downloaded anything. Could this be a drive that is storing information on how I use the computer, and is it only on HP computers? It doesnt show up as a virus or a trojan, and it is 356mb with 301 mb free, using 55mb..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
banhien
Level 20
Level 20
98,713 37,755 12,822 27,065
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

From time to time, Microsoft may create a drive called Z: to keep information for the update/upgrade process. Drive Z: may appear then disappear. Microsoft should tell people about this or hide it as default.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
8 REPLIES 8
banhien
Level 20
Level 20
98,713 37,755 12,822 27,065
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

From time to time, Microsoft may create a drive called Z: to keep information for the update/upgrade process. Drive Z: may appear then disappear. Microsoft should tell people about this or hide it as default.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
VVVXX
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had this Z Drive appear on my PC a few weeks ago and performed a system restore to get rid of it. It stayed away for a while until the next time  "HP Support Assistant" ran a system check for updates, etc, and as soon as it was finished, the  Z  drive reappeared. I got rid of it again but after every HP scan, it returns, so it is definately coming from that, though what it's for is anyone's guess.

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 4,462 577 1,727
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  as soon as it was finished, the  Z  drive reappeared. I got rid of it again but after every HP scan, it returns, so it is definitely coming from that, though what it's for is anyone's guess.

I guess that the HP Support Assistant downloads one large file from HP's web-site,

and "borrows" some of the computer's RAM (356 MB),  and creates a "RAM-disk", and assigns 'Z:' to it.

The S.A. then "unpacks" that one file onto the 'Z:' drive, building files & folders on the RAM-disk.

Voila!  You now have a "system tools" (virtual) disk-drive, with the most-current version of the HP Tools.

After the diagnostic tools have completed, it _should_ "destroy" the RAM-disk, and give the 356MB back to Windows for "general" usage.

Run a 'CHKDSK Z:' from a command-line prompt -- it will probably run *VERY* *FAST*, because a RAM-disk is much faster than an ordinary "spinning" disk-drive.  Or, run a "custom" virus-scan, targeting the 'Z:' drive.  Again, it will run very quickly, if it is a RAM-disk.

VVVXX
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your help, i'll try what you suggested whenever the Z drive turns up again.

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 4,462 577 1,727
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> i'll try what you suggested whenever the Z drive turns up again.

Did you try it?  Anything to report?

VVVXX
5 3 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What I did do, was follow someone else's advice and it has worked every time System Z has appeared, which is whenever the HP Support Assistant has updated. Just type the following text into the search box, run the command, restart your computer and System Z will be gone..........       mountvol Z:\ /D (System Z delete) 

Dvette62
Level 1
10 3 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have had the same problem for a LONG time. My HP 7310xi printer is connected to my Windows 10 computer, through that modem, with an ethernet cable. When I connect to the internet , the printer lights up like a Christmas tree and stops responding. I was blaming it on the printer card reader but have had NO success in solving the problem.

I have the same printer connected through the same modem to my Windows 7 machiine with no problems.

kevin-t
Retired
Retired
20,511 11,912 325 1,198
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation