Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP All-in-One 22-dd0016
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

allinone pic.png

Ready to upgrade my *super ~ ~ ~  slow* All-in-One PC. my first question is, can NVME  SSD technology be used to Upgrade the spinnin' HDD? I saw a few YouTube's of guys rigging a regular SSD in place with a screw or something to hold it in place; but I figure if I'm going to the effort and expense anyway, I might as well use NVME   *If*   it is compatible. Also, I will be inserting more RAM to increase from factory-issued 4 GB to take it up to 12GB. That process of snap and click looks so easy, that High School students are making the YouTube's on that one. My big issue here is re-installing Windows 10 (or WIN 11 since it seems to be a FREE upgrade). I might need to contact Microsoft to ask about the easiest, fool-proof method to do this; But any help from our HP community would be very much appreciated !!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<       ~       >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

since this forum will not let us have custom Avatars until we are *tenured*  Here's my Future Avatar anyway's - - - - >

LQQking  at U  kid ...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Kasey_K -- vast improvement.

Is this your computer: HP All-in-One - 22-dd0016 Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

It lists a 7200 RPM disk-drive. So, a 2.5-inch SSD will be much faster -- no "rotational delay" -- caused when the disk-drive has to spin to move the data to where the read/write head is located.  It is possible that an M.2 device will be electronically faster -- the newer the generation, the faster it is.

Your computer has a 1000 GB disk-drive. Do you need all that space?  If you are only using 25% of that space, you can save a few dollars, by purchasing a 500 GB device -- either SSD or M.2 technology -- as opposed to paying for a 1000 GB device.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Here is the spec page for that PC

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-all-in-one-pc-22-dd0000a/32516338/document/c06543675

It does have a M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for SSD, so it should be able to speed up considerably with that addition.

The RAM upgrade is also doable with it using Two DDR4 SODIMM (260-pin) sockets and supports up to PC4-19200 (DDR4-2400)

Supports up to 16 GB (unbuffered) with two 8 GB DIMMs on 64-bit systems

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response Old Dude. Just to clarify the RAM upgrade...  if it comes from Factory with a 4GB DDR4 module in "socket one"; then I simply need to obtain one additional 8GB module to insert into the remaining available socket, for a total (in this case) of 12GB.

HP Recommended

@Kasey_K -- My big issue here is re-installing Windows 10

If all you do is to add RAM, there is no need to reinstall Windows.

If you do add an M.2 stick, use free "disk-cloning" software to copy everything from the HDD to the M.2 stick.

For me, the free MACRIUM REFLECT software works fine for this task.

After the cloning completes, shutdown the computer, and disconnect the "power" and "data" cables from the HDD. Restart and enter BIOS SETUP. Set the M.2 stick to be the first "bootable" device. Restart, and Windows will (quickly) boot from the M.2 stick.

HP Recommended

I think that would work but make sure you match the specs for the existing memory or just get two matching sticks.  Mixing memory can cause problems.

Crucial will guarantee their upgrades if you are not sure about what to get.

https://www.crucial.com/products

They also will recommend the M.2 card.  Just let them scan your computer and then see what they recommend.  Just to verify things.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

thanks so much for the "FREE" MACRIUM software referral. a local PC repair shop was trying to convince me that cloning apps cost thousand's of Bucks! Just to clarify some of your phraseology: are you calling an "M.2 stick" the unit that is actually an SSD HD that inserts in the same socket that the original HDD removes from?

OR are you talking about some small "M.2" Flash drive that simply plugs into a USB port?? WoW that sounds convenient!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

by the way Folks,    Nobody has answered my question about "NVME SSD".... is my HP compatible with this newer, faster SSD technology? or should I just stick with plain, ol' SSD,  (which should still be a vast improvement) ??

HP Recommended

@Kasey_K -- note that @TheOldMan stated that your computer's motherboard has a special socket on the motherboard that ONLY fits a M.2 memory-stick.   Reference: M.2 - Wikipedia

The first generation of SSD devices are the USB-interface memory-sticks that connect to an external USB port. Such ports are not as fast as you would like, if you wish to "boot" Windows from it.

The second generation of SSD devices are 2.5-inches wide -- the same width as the disk-drive found inside most notebook computers.  So, if you remove your current 3.5-inch wide disk-drive, you will need an inexpensive "tray" -- screw the SSD into the tray, and insert the tray into the 3.5-inch drive-bay, and connect the data & power cables that were connected to the disk-drive.

HP Recommended

@Kasey_K -- vast improvement.

Is this your computer: HP All-in-One - 22-dd0016 Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

It lists a 7200 RPM disk-drive. So, a 2.5-inch SSD will be much faster -- no "rotational delay" -- caused when the disk-drive has to spin to move the data to where the read/write head is located.  It is possible that an M.2 device will be electronically faster -- the newer the generation, the faster it is.

Your computer has a 1000 GB disk-drive. Do you need all that space?  If you are only using 25% of that space, you can save a few dollars, by purchasing a 500 GB device -- either SSD or M.2 technology -- as opposed to paying for a 1000 GB device.

HP Recommended

thanks again! I just found a :

adapter ali express.png

**Useful 2.5 Inch SSD HDD To 3.5 Inch Metal Mounting Adapter Bracket Dock Screw Hard Drive Holder For PC Hard Drive Enclosure**

on AliExpress for $3.36 plus FREE shipping on the slow boat from China. Gonna order it Now...

it seems I should forego the convenience of an M.2 stick as it will not afford the speed that I need. Therefore I will put the internal 2.5 SSD in the PC...

HP Recommended

wow ~  great insight. Yes !! I only bought the Terabyte HD because it was a cheap price on Office Depot. I would much rather have a smaller capacity HD that is fast and responsive, than this huge, spinning HD that is so slow.

groan ~~ I , SO wish  I had fully read all the specs before I ordered this PC, but the upgrade should be fun  ~hoping so, sincerely!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.