Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have two WD "My Book" 3.0 USB drives.  Previously, they both worked fine.  Now one of the two drives is getting a device descriptor request failed message.  The other drive is fine.  I have tried different 3.0 inputs on the system both in back and on top in the front.  Any ideas on why the same drive isn't working?  I have tried both on other systems and they work fine.  The other systems I have tried them on are WIN7 and WIN 8.1.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there slovey 🙂

Have you, by any chance tried with another USB cable? I wouldn't make sense to change things as the device works on other systems but it wouldn't hurt to use the other My Book's cable with the problematic one just to rule this out as a potential cause.

I would also check this thread and see if the offered solutions there help. 

Keeping your OS, BIOS and drivers up to date is also an important part of the troubleshooting process. I'd also check if there's a new update specifically for the driver responsible for the communication between the drive and the system.

Post back if you need more info!

Captain_WD.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi there slovey 🙂

Have you, by any chance tried with another USB cable? I wouldn't make sense to change things as the device works on other systems but it wouldn't hurt to use the other My Book's cable with the problematic one just to rule this out as a potential cause.

I would also check this thread and see if the offered solutions there help. 

Keeping your OS, BIOS and drivers up to date is also an important part of the troubleshooting process. I'd also check if there's a new update specifically for the driver responsible for the communication between the drive and the system.

Post back if you need more info!

Captain_WD.

HP Recommended

sorry it took so long to reply, we were moving and my computers were down so I couldn't try the solution.

HP Recommended

Hey, no problem at all. I hope the suggestion worked and you don't have other issues. If you happen to have any further questions - feel free to ask. 🙂 I'd be happy to help with whatever I can!

Captain_WD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.