Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

The HP support website lists 2 BIOS upgrades for my dc7700 SFF computer with XP pro. They are:

1- HP Compaq Business Desktop System BIOS (786E1 BIOS) (International)  
2- HP Compaq dc7700p Business Desktop System BIOS for Intel vPro Technology (786E1 BIOS) (International

A big chip inside has Intel on it but not Intel Pro. Does this mean I should choose No. 1.

Also, 2 other choices are on the list:

3- Microcode Update for HP 786E BIOS Family Computers with Intel Processors (International)
4- HP Compaq Business Desktop ME Firmware Update and Utilities (International)

What  do they do?  What is ME Firmware?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

With a Pentium processor, you use the non vPro BIOS update (HP Compaq Business Desktop System BIOS (786E1 BIOS) (International).

I would definitely flash the BIOS using the F10 Flash System ROM method you will see on the instruction page when you first run the BIOS file.  Simply format a usb flash drive with the FAT 32 files system, and copy the contents of the DOS flash folder to the usb drive.  Plug it into the PC, turn it on tap the F10 key to get into the BIOS and select the flash system rom menu and follow the onscreen instructions.

Only have the keyboard, mouse and monitor connected when you flash the BIOS (other than the usb flash drive of course).

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

What processor does your dc7700 have?

If it is one of the Core 2 Duo E-series processors you can use the HP Compaq dc7700p Business Desktop System BIOS for Intel vPro Technology BIOS update.

The micocode update is used if you want to update the processor to one of the supported ones listed in the service manual.  You must know how to make a USB drive bootable and know where to find DOS command files to also load on the flash drive so you can run the command to update the microcode from the bootable usb drive.

The ME firmware update...I would not touch that with a 10' pole.  Unless you are running a big business and push updates to dozens or more PC's, the intel management engine/AMT technology is not necessary for use home users.

Accordingly, updating something you will never use is not necessary.

I have read too many tales of woe from folks that have messed up the firmware update, and they are stuck with unremovable errors in the boot up routine.

I think updating the ME Firmware is more risky than updating the BIOS.

HP Recommended

The processor info that I gleaned is:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz

Also, Device Manager lists 2 Pentium 4 CPU's.

So I assume your advice hits the spot and I'll use the BIOS upgrade you suggested. From other forum messages, I gather that I should not do the upgrade from Windows.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

With a Pentium processor, you use the non vPro BIOS update (HP Compaq Business Desktop System BIOS (786E1 BIOS) (International).

I would definitely flash the BIOS using the F10 Flash System ROM method you will see on the instruction page when you first run the BIOS file.  Simply format a usb flash drive with the FAT 32 files system, and copy the contents of the DOS flash folder to the usb drive.  Plug it into the PC, turn it on tap the F10 key to get into the BIOS and select the flash system rom menu and follow the onscreen instructions.

Only have the keyboard, mouse and monitor connected when you flash the BIOS (other than the usb flash drive of course).

HP Recommended

I'll do just that. Hopefully, that will solve my main problem  of the computer abruptly quiting  at odd times and restarting all over again. If not, I'll be back.

HP Recommended

I doubt that a BIOS update will take care of a problem like you have reported.

Sounds like one of the memory chips is flaky.

HP Recommended

You're right!. After Bios update, computer still quits when it feels like it .  Tested memory earlier and test was ok but maybe defect is intermittent. I'll test it several times to see if errors show up. The Event Viewer shows lots of errors before computer quits but I don't know which ones are significant.  I'll do some tinkering and when I have some clues as to what is going on, I'll probably be back with a new subject. My original question was satisfactorly answered. Thanks for your good advice.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

What I do is remove all but one of the memory modules and run the PC on it.

If it crashes, I remove that module and go on to the next one.

I keep doing that until I have found the bad chip(s).

The less memory chips you have in there the easier it will be to find the bad one.

I guess that goes without saying but I said it anyway.

I have found many a flaky memory chip that way.  Usually it is only one that is the culprit.

HP Recommended

Sounds like a good plan. I'll give it a try although removing & installing the cards is rather difficult in that crowded space.  The term SFF is very true.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, sorry to drag up an oldie but memory not too good!

I have 2 dc7700 SFF's, one of which still in use with the 6700 Conroe you recommended at the time as an upgrade to the original 1.86 core 2 duo, and I now plan to update the other for family use.

However the 2 MB's are different series it seems, but both Vpro. The one in use has the 3.06 bios and code which I updated a while back before finding this forum.  Unfortunately as we all know that Bios did not fullfil our dreams with regard to processor support due to bad coding, so the 6700 @ 2.67 Conroe was the tops for that without issues, running fine and now with it's own Saphire Radeon HD7750 GPU (capo Verde version) so fairly nippy.

But..the second machines MB whilst reading out vPro according to Belarc Advisor specs has a different bios; it being v 2.10.xx something. Strange thing is that the first board setup would not run / recognise my 2 then new fast Samsung HD's without applying  a patch (F3 Patch from HP or Samsung); whereas the second MB and bios 2.10 xx does so fine.

The 2nd unit MB with the different bios series is also running the conroe 6700 @ 2.76ghz/1m/1066 at this time..but I still have a Pentium e6700 3.20/2m/1066/06 sat in the spares drawer...

Anyone tried that pentium 3.20ghz/2m/1066 with thie other MB's and Bios etcetera and should it be any improvement if it did work with the other bios and applicable codes. Not needing AMT by the way.

Regards

Aitch

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.