Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion TG01-2856no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I had recently bought a  Pavilion desktop model TG01-2856no that comes with i5 11gen and gtx 1660super. 

One day the PC was was left to idle for about 30 min and when I come back the screen was off and the system was not responding.

The fans was running normaly and the case was a bit warm. I had to force a shutdown since nothing was responding. 

I restarted the system and as soon after Windows booted the CPU temp raised too 100C and all fans starts to run. Was very strange to see that.

I am just curious to see if others experienced this situation before and if you think that my CPU has been damaged from that high temp peak? As well if you might have any ideea what could happen in those 30 min that caused the system to not respond and then 100C on restart?

I must mention that:

1. HP support could not identify the reason, it was strange for them to hear my story. They "hope" to fix this with a clean OS install ( system was quite fresh, 2 weeks and not using too many softwares)

2. Windows Event Log - critical warning that point to be a hardware failure, without saying any details about.

3. HP system check- I runned the tests, all are OK

4. What I think is: - there must be related to the Windows standby mode ( after 20 min, monitor enter in standby and probably then the system crashed) OR there is a conflict with HP omen app. 

Please let me know what are your thoughts about.

Best regard,

Alex

20210918_233240.jpg

20210918_233440.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Twocb -- 100 degrees is very hot. 

Is the computer out in the open, or inside a "computer desk", with limited air-flow for the hot air being exhausted from the back of the computer?

If you remove a side-panel, to expose the fans (one on top of the CPU, and maybe one inside the back of the case), are those fans spinning?

Are the intake vents (to pull room-temperature air into the computer) not blocked?

HP Recommended

I do not know what caused the high temp, but I am sure that there was not the case for low air-flow or obstructed vents. 

HP Recommended

@Twocb -- being a "new" computer, I would also rule-out a dust-clogged heat-sink & fan on top of the CPU that would causing the CPU to overheat.

Enter BIOS SETUP. Is there an option to stop the fans when the computer is "sleeping" ?  I would disable that option.

Do you have a SSD, or the older "spinning" disk-drive? I have seen such an older disk-drive get very hot, when there were "bad" sectors on the disk-drive, and the disk-drive repeatedly tried to write to those sectors, and failed every time. The disk-drive became 100% busy, and generated much more heat.

HP Recommended

Hey, thanks for your reply.

There is no HDD instaled. In Bios I there is not so many options and I cannot change the fan settings. Is there any way to see the "hidden" settings from BIOS? Somethig like a key combination to activate the advanced settings?

I must mention that since then I did not had any more event like high temperature. I still notice some spikes of 76C at idle before automatic standby. Normal temp at idle is about 45C. That s why I believe this issue is related to standby mode.

HP Recommended

@Twocb -- There is no HDD installed.

Where is the Windows software stored? On a SSD? On a M.2 memory-card? On a NVMe memory-card?

None of those alternatives to a "spinning" disk-drive should generate any noticeable amount of heat.

When your computer goes "quiet", does Windows take the "idleness" as an opportunity to defragment any disk-drive, or to virus-scan the whole disk-drive, or to download & install Windows Updates or to "index" the files?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.