Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 251-a125t Desktop CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this desktop PC in Dec. 2017, then it sat in a box while I was a caregiver.  Now I've finally set it up, and I have some dumb questions...

--What do I do about missing software keycode?  I bought MS Office with this PC, yet I have no Office keycode or disc, etc.

--Does this PC have no warranty, even though it was never opened or used?  It keeps locking up when I use Spectrum's email webpage, and I have to restart it.

--Can I use a wired keyboard with this?  The wireless keyboard is using a LOT of batteries, and when the batteries get low it repeats keys or doesn't respond.

--Can I use a wired mouse?  The wireless mouse is awful (too low for my hand, too sluggish).  

--How do I get the HP Assistant to work properly?  I get an error message when I run it.

Frankly, the wireless keyboard and mouse weren't designed for someone who is disabled to put batteries into them.  When the batteries die I have to ask or pay someone to put batteries in, and I can't use my PC during that time.  If I'd've known this would be equipped with wireless items I'd've bought a different PC.  I don't remember being told about the wireless items when I bought this, or the useless disk player (another item not designed for someone who is disabled to use).  

Thank you in advance for your help.

/Bri in Elma, NY USA

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

hi

Sorry, try to contact HP, because it's exceptional, but it's the date of purchase, which is taken into account, so no longer under warranty in this case

I don't understand if the software was included or not, because if it came with it, then there must have been a way to activate it, but probably not possible anymore, too late
But you have free options if you want?

You can use a wired keyboard and mouse, if you have two USB ports available, this should not be a problem

For hp assistant you are talking about this, if yes download the latest version if not

HP Support Assistant | HP® Official Site

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.  I ordered MS Office with the PC when I bought it in December 2017.  It's fully paid for, as far as I remember.  I would hope that the info could be looked up at HP to help me install and use what I paid for.  I had never installed that version of MS Office onto my old PC.

HP Recommended

You bought office, where, website, in what form?
I ask because it seems to me that HP does not sell software separately?
If you bought office, you should have an activation key, provided by the reseller at least?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

All I remember is buying MS Office WITH the PC as an add-on.  Maybe that sort of thing was done in 2017, I don't know, and maybe now it's not, I don't know, and I don't care. 

All I know is what I know, and I know I ordered and paid for MS Office to be included with my Hewlard Packette desktop PC in 2017.

HP Recommended

For the record, I bought an extended warranty.  Please see form attached.

Will someone please help me so I don't have to waste 2 hours on the phone talking to a millennial at HP who has a bad headset and who merely reads prewritten scripts in monotone which aren't relevant?  Thank you in advance.

2017-12 HP Care Pack scan-01.jpg

HP Recommended

Let's try again for some actual help.  A redacted extended warranty form has been reposted as I was told the serial number could not be posted.  If more has to be redacted please tell me as I was only told the serial number couldn't be posted.  Again, thank you in advance for some help.

2017-12 HP Care Pack scan-01.jpg

HP Recommended

Sorry, this is a community of support, between users, most of the speakers are not employed by hp here
If you need help with warranty issues, see hp directly.
I flag the subject, in order to request that an hp agent contact you if possible, but I cannot tell you that you will get an answer.

for office, sorry, not knowing what to look for, I can't help you!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Thanks.

For the record, again, this desktop PC from Dec. 2017 is awful.  I remember paying a lot for it at the time, and thinking I was buying a high quality computer.  Instead I got garbage.  Examples...

--manual disk drive (mounted at 90°???) is low quality and useless

--wireless keyboard is poorly designed, too small, low quality, and frustrating

--wireless mouse is poorly designed, and just plain garbage

--too few USB ports

--tower, keyboard, mouse and speakers are all black, yet monitor is white (way to go HP shipping)

--speaker wires are way too short to produce stereo effect, and subwoofer is useless

--the internal WIFI sensor is useless (modem is barely 50 feet away), so I bought an add-on unit (taking up another UBS port)

--PC is just plain slow, and shouldn't be (my old HP tower is faster, and it's 12+ years old)

I bought a wired mouse and keyboard to replace the wireless POS's, but will not have enough USB ports for my external drive, etc.  Another design shortcoming.

I bought MS Office (also pricey) yet can't use it for the lack of a key code.  Way to go again HP shipping.

I wish I'd've had the time to set this PC up in 2017 as I could've sent it back.  What a disappointment.  So much money for low quality and design flaws aplenty.  Shame on the HP engineers who designed this PC, or maybe I should say shame on the HP marketing types who stuck their noses into the design too much. 

I expected a high quality PC, and this is absolute crap.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.