Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Flash Drive
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Community;

I have a 32 GB  flash Drive that I attempted to use, when I plugged it in my PC  I immediately received an error messsage which read  " Could not be performed an I/O Device Error ".    Does this mean that the flash drive is Bad::.

Thanks

Beep02

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Beep02  the reasons can be caused by various elements like third-party software locking the target drive, bad sectors on the drive that you need to run CHKDSK and so on,

I suggest you contact Kingston for further assistance on getting the drive fixed, although, please let me know if the drive works on an alternate device as such.

Good day.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Beep02 Welcome to HP Forums!

Is that an HP 32GB thumb drive? If not, is it an HP computer you've got issues connecting it on? could you mention the product name or number of the device?

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

While you respond to that, here's what you could attempt:

1. Press  "Windows" Key and type: cmd to open the menu, right-click "Command Prompt" and choose 'Run as administrator' option.
2. Click "Yes" when you are presented with a window requesting permission to launch the Command Prompt as Administrator.
3. In the new Command Prompt window, type: chkdsk E: /f /r /x (replace E with the drive letter for your device).

This option will run the chkdsk function to check and repair disk errors on the hard drive, USB drive, or other storage devices to fix I/O device error. And then you will no longer have to deal with the "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"prompt.  

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello 

Sorry for the late response,  been having problems on my end.     The 32 GB thumb drive is a " KINGSTON  DT 101 G2 "     When I type at the  "CMD Administrator"     the chkdsk  with the drive letter and hit enter,  I get an error message which reads  " Can not open volume for direct access"     do you have an opijnion as to why I can't check this thumb drove ??

Thanks

BEEP02`

HP Recommended

@Beep02  the reasons can be caused by various elements like third-party software locking the target drive, bad sectors on the drive that you need to run CHKDSK and so on,

I suggest you contact Kingston for further assistance on getting the drive fixed, although, please let me know if the drive works on an alternate device as such.

Good day.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.